1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loss of Broadband speed!?!? How?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by opack, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opack

opack Thread Starter

I just re-installed Windows XP home, and I put in all the new patches; SP2, and the like. Before I installed Norton AV, and Zone Alarm, I noticed that my test scores from Broadbandreports.com were hovering around the 5300kpbs-7000kbps.. I have a 7meg download cable modem hook up. So, now that I am up and running to how I should be, I check my test scores are now back down to what I was getting BEFORE I reinstalled windows of around 2500-2600kbps, tested on different servers, different times of the day. What is making it so slow? What program did I install is making my connection so slow?!? I tried disabling NAV, and ZoneAlarm independently, and then together, but I'm still getting the slow speeds. Could it be some other program running somewhere that I dont know of (Or one I think is 'harmless?')

I have a XP 1600+ AMD,
    512 PC3200 RAM
    400FSB
    Windows XP home SP2

X-posted in Hardware

2. uniquename

uniquename

Don't forget to factor in the 'contention'. Any chance that you have a near neighbour hogging any bandwidth. Happened to me.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/283886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice