Loss of connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dpb894

Hi guys! Need input. HP Pavilion A6313W.....Windows Vista Home Premium....Arris modem....Linksys WRT310N Router....

Everything ran fine until a couple of days ago when we had lightning storms and somehow my router got fried. Everything else was plugged into a surge protector and fine (yeah, stupid me!). I've since replaced the router with the exact model but am having connection problems with only my computer. I have another computer and an xbox wired to the router and they have no problems. My computer will only have internet for maybe 30 sec before i get the red x and the "you are not connected" note. When this happens and try to run diagnostic it says the network cable is not plugged in, knowing full well it is. At one point i had a note saying some file was corrupt but couldn't duplicate it again. I've tried rebooting the modem, router, and the computer several times.....no luck. As a last resort i even did a system recovery, no luck there.:mad:

Any ideas? I'd greatly appreciate it!

thanks!!!

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Most likely a defective NIC, cable or router LAN port. You can mix and match with the other computer to check the cable and router port.

In case the driver is corrupted use Device Manager to uninstall the ethernet; reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver.

Can also try Safe Mode with Networking to help determine whether this is a hardware or software problem.

Also try the following repairs ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online