1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

loss of documents for missing registry keys in Windows 95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by alcoraetza, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alcoraetza

alcoraetza Thread Starter

Hello to everyone, I message from Italy and please excuse me if my translation to english is incorrect.
    I have at my office an old pc IBM with Pentium 100 and precharged Windows 95.
    1st: I runned the program klezfix and it tried (and deleted) 9 infected files: detlog.pif, PCI.doc.rar, detlog.rtf.pif, 294.exe, Caller.rar, 294.html.exe, rccluery.rar, Caller.pif, 294.doc.rar all these files are in C:\ directory, the 1st problem is that I don't know if one or more of these files are system files so that it could have generated the problem that I will describe later.
    2nd: in the attempt to make faster this pc I installed and started a program to compress the registry, and reboot the pc without any backup registry file: this is my fault, I didn't write the program instructions, because at home I have a Windows Millennium pc and never give myself this kind of problems, with its system automated backup files.
    So at reboot the program tells that no registry backuped file was available and then it automatically (?) recreated a registry file, I thought the program had crashed so I resetted the pc. At reboot the
    1st message with Blue Screen: " IBM Antivirus is not correctly installed on this system. Run the IBM Antivirus Setup Program to correct the problem. If you wish to uninstall IBM Antivirus, you should erase the file C:\windows\system\IOSUBSYS\IAVVXD1.VXD. ", the I press a key and had this window: S3 with ROM: "Impossible to determine if it is possible to remove the peripheral, close all programs than check TRY ... if the check is successfully ended it is possible to remove the peripheral ...", I check TRY because ANNUL freezes the pc.
    And HERE is the problem:
    from the desktop, my computer (the window from which one can access floppy:, C:, Control Panel and it has no CD:rom), doesn't open: clicking My computer, it gives me the window FIND, but I cannot transfer any file to floppy in every other way, win95 gives me this message: " Impossible access to the peripheric, path or file", with CTRL+Alt+Delete I have this message: "VXD call of dinamic link not valid from VMM(01)+00008DC to the peripheric 009, 8003 service - Windows configuration is not valid, repeat the installation to solve the problem. To continue to run Windows, press Y(es) or Enter, to close press N(o) - if you continue to run window the system could become instable", if I press Y the system crashes and freezes.
    I tried Start\Run\regedit, and I see the registry is lacking of many keys, now it has 800 KB length and before this problem it had 3,6 MB length, all keys of configuration of Excel, Word, notepad and of all other programs are missing and not working, HKEY LocalMachine has all keys with value 0.
    So: I can transfer files FROM floppy but it is NOT possible to OPEN or transfer any folder or file from pc (send to floppy doesn't work):
    the registry doesn't make available these functions so if you have some advice to add manually or to download (hoping the add-to-registry function works or I can add manually viewing from another pc a suggested file.reg) the exact keys or a file.reg, to recover at least the documents that are in this pc, it will be of great, great help.
    If I have to reinstall Windows 95, an other version of this precharged IBM version instead, will I lose the documents that I need first of every other problem?
    Could the problem be that klezfix deleted important system files so I have to recover only these files, after, if possible, restoring the registry?
    Again if you have some help, it will be of the greater help.
    Excuse me again for the length of this thread.
    Thanks in advance to everyone.

2. rugrat

rugrat

alcoraetza

Welcome to TSG!

WOW!!! My guess is the registry program you installed and not the Klez fix. I would re-install win95 over itself. This will not destroy any documents or data on the drive. Then try to use your programs to save everything you can to a floppy or other media. Once you have salvaged everything, you may have to clean the drive and do a fresh install. If you are lucky, just re-installing win95 will correct the problems. When you re-install win95, do not fdisk or format the drive, this will destroy everything!

Let us know

Edit: Also please note that win95 is no longer supported by Microsoft so any updates etc... may not be available. I personally suggest a migration to win98se or to XP.

Second edit: XP will not run on that machine.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I guess I'd try the suggestion in <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q131431> this</a> article under the section titled "Using System.da0". Other than that, with W95 you don't have much recourse unless you saved a copy of the registry before you compress it short of a reinstall overtop of the current W95 install. Even with a reinstall overtop, it sounds like you may still have problems because the registry sounds pretty messed up. You'll probably have to reinstall some programs, too.

Let us know what happens.

4. alcoraetza

Thanks Rugrat,
    Thanks Bryan,
    for your attention and answers !
    I hope that the microsoft suggested article section will be of resolutive help, tomorrow, when I come back to office. It's now in Italy 4.00 in the morning, and this problem keep me awake with trouble.
    Thanks and I'll let you know.
    Bye.

5. alcoraetza

One more question,
    I can only reinstall windows95 from floppies:
    1)boot
    2)reboot in dos mode,
    3)a:\setup,
    4)follow the instruction...,
    the pc hasn't a CD drive, could some problems be because of the particular problem
    and besides,
    what is safer, to recover registry as microsoft article describes, or reinstall windows in this way?
    Thanks for the patience.
    Good Evening.

6. alcoraetza

Ok!

I solved the problem backuping the document files from DOS, with pkzip utility,

I couldn't have risked to miss the documents,

and I hadn't no reg file useful to restore the registry,

so I tried this solution.

DOS is fantastic in the case of bad Windows O.S.'s working.

Later I'll try to reinstall windows95.

However,

Thanks for your advices.

And Condolences for the Shuttle Columbia poor astronauts.

My regards.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice