1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loss of Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wertzie70, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wertzie70

wertzie70 Thread Starter

I am having trouble keeping an internet connection on (1) computer on my home network (using a Microsoft Wireless Router). I run (3) other computers on the same network with no problems. The problem computer will only keep a connection for a few minutes normally, and the problem occurs whether using the wired or wireless network adaptor. I did pick up and connect to a unsecured wireless connection of a neighbors, and everything works flawlessly. Therefore I'm fairly certain the problem lies with either the router, my ISP, or both. The problem computer worked fine for the past 3 months, and stopped working out of the blue. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Internet stops working
    Only happens on 1 PC when connected wireless or wired
    and that PC works on another wireless network without error.

does sound like a router/ISP error

but lets try this

first we need to do an IPCONFIG /ALL on that machine and post back {but also can be on any machine as we are trying to find the router IP }
    then we can see if we can ping the router from the faulty PC - that will tell us if the PC can at least still see the router,
    next we will ping a domain name to see if we can get out ontothe web with a name
    then ping the number to see if its a DNS issue
    We can also try reneing the IP - but will do that later

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds more like wireless interference. I don't see how it could be the ISP, since they're on the other side of the router, and other machines using the router don't exhibit the problem.

4. wertzie70

wertzie70 Thread Starter

I think i have found another issue. My NetBios on the problem machine keeps disabling itself. I found a process to reset:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

I do this and it works for awhile before disabling itself again.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have either a corrupt installation or spyware/malware. I'd suggest you post a HijackThis log and let the security folks take a look.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/480526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice