1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loss of internet connection...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drewropa, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drewropa

drewropa Thread Starter

Hello,

First, as a new member, I would like to thank those of you here for the help you give. Unfortunately, I have encountered a situation which requires me to be more than just a lurker (others seem to have much more knowledge and better opinions than me).

I have a D-Link WBR-2310 router which I have not had any problems with. I ran one desktop and one laptop hardwired and one laptop wireless. The laptop I used that was hardwired was solely used for downloading via torrents and ftp. Recently, it died and I started using my desktop for my downloads. Almost immediately, I started to lose my internet connection while downloading torrents or ftp files. The problem has grown worse as I will now lose connection simply surfing the web using my desktop. The wireless laptop, however, has had no problems. I can lose hardwire connection with my desktop, plug in my wireless laptop via hardwire, and it works perfectly. I have tried different ports with my desktop, put in a new network card, and used a new ethernet cable...all with the same results--loss of connection. I have also connected my desktop directly to my dsl modem and lose connection. I called my isp and verified my settings. I am left with the fact that my desktop computer is the problem.

I have ran diagnostics with AVG 7.5, Ad-Aware, and others looking for trojans or viruses--nothing. I ran HiJackThis and will post the results at the end of this message. Nothing has been downloaded or installed on my desktop in the past four weeks since this problem started. I had PeerGuardian 2 installed and thought that might be the problem...uninstalled it and didn't solve the problem.

Downloading files via BitTornado & Utorrent is when I first discovered the problem. They would start to download and then stop. Downloading FTP was worse...it would kick off almost immediately after starting. Now, even surfing the web for 10-15 minutes causes a loss. When I click "My Network Places", I have two icons--"shareddocuments on my pc" & "D-Link Router". When I lose connection, "D-Link Router" disappears. The only way to restore my internet connection is to reboot my pc. However, I can plug my laptop into the router right after and have no problems on it.

I am just lost for a solution after weeks of searching others problems in this forum and others. I have found others with this similiar problem but no solutions. I certainly do not want to reinstall windows xp--and that might not even solve the problem.

I am most grateful to anyone with suggestions, opinions, help, questions...

Happy holiday to all,
    Drew

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
    Scan saved at 4:07:05 PM, on 5/25/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\USISrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lexmark 3300 Series\lxccmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcccoms.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner1\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USIUDF_Eject_Monitor] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\USISrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXCCCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXCCtime.dll,[email protected]
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxccmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 3300 Series\lxccmon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FaxCenterServer] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark Fax Solutions\fm3032.exe" /s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PC Pitstop Optimize Scheduler] C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize\PCPOptimize.exe -boot
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] "C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe" /R
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Startup: BAMMediaPlayerUpdater.lnk = C:\Program Files\BAMMediaPlayer\updater.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Bodog Poker - {F47C1DB5-ED21-4dc1-853E-D1495792D4C5} - C:\Program Files\Bodog Poker\BPGame.exe (file missing)
    O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://download.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1141021863375
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: lxcc_device - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcccoms.exe
    O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

--
    End of file - 5158 bytes

2. drewropa

drewropa Thread Starter

I remembered some other things I have also tried with no success...

flushed the dns
    found my optimal MTU
    defragmented
    upgraded my router firmware

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Post an ipconfig/all for your desktop. Also I don't know what you think is "optimal MTU". It should be left at the default 1500.

4. drewropa

drewropa Thread Starter

thanks for your reply...I set my MTU to 1472--the highest I could go without packet loss...ipconfig/all results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner1>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Drew
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapt
    er(LNE100TX v4)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-5A-47-48-5B
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:23:56 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:23:56 PM

thanks for your help.

5. nairdo

nairdo

Check the time configured on the WBR-2310 under Tools->Time. Make sure it has not reset back to the factory default.

6. massimino

massimino

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do NOT use this WINSOCK fix for XP-SP2! This is ONLY for earlier patch levels of XP. The correct fix for SP2 is:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/577267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice