1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loss of internet connectivity (Win XP)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kevy Kev, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kevy Kev

Kevy Kev Thread Starter

I posted this in another forum here, but thought it might be worthwhile to x-post it here in the Networking one as well:

Hey all:

I'm having a MAJOR problem with one of my computers. Dell Dimension 8300, approximately 2.5 years old.

Symptom: I lose internet connectivity after a variable period of time of being logged into my computer. I can actually ping and do tracerts to verify that I can "see" the internet. But, my any other methods of accessing the internet do not work! I can't surf using a web-browser, my IM clients do not work, and I can't play any of the online games. I can still share files with computers on my local network. The problem started this past weekend (about 9/17). As far as I can tell, the only way to get it back is to reboot (see below though).

Recent changes: I added a computer to my network about 10 days ago. I also put the Dell and the new computer on a Belkin KVM switch (soft switch). I put a third (existing) computer on a wireless interface, but this was done AFTER the problems started occurring. I did a Windows Update (per the balloon) on Sept 17th, which is *about* the same time the problems started occurring.

What I have already tried:
    ** Run both Ad-Aware and Spybot
    ** Updated my BIOS
    ** Updated my NIC driver
    ** Set the NIC to use 10Mbps/Half Duplex
    ** Installed a new NIC
    ** Did a System Restore to earliest version that I could (beginning of Sept)
    ** Tried to back out the most recent changes of Windows Update, but the one that I believe to be the "offending" update (Sept 17) was not listed. Most of the other ones were.

New Discovery: Here's something that I figured out last night. If I just Log Off and then log back on, then I can "recover". So, a full shut down is not required. The behavior is the same for any user.

So, it's definitely not a hardware issue(?). It appears to be an OS issue. But, I've no idea how to correct the problem, short of reinstalling with a clean OS. I will admit, I haven't tried a virus scan, but doing a search I can't find any info on a virus that would cause this behavior. Could it be a virus?

Please, if anyone has any experience with such a problem or knows of other things I can try, I would greatly appreciate your insight!!

Kevy Kev

2. stod73

stod73

What are your power settings on the NIC(s)? Perhaps XP is turning the NIC off.

3. Kevy Kev

Kevy Kev Thread Starter

Ah, yes, that's another thing that I checked. :)

The PC is not turning the NIC card off. I set it to never turn it off (whatever the wording was, I can't remember).

It's odd that *after* "losing" web, IM, etc. connectivity, that I can still ping. I can ping a URL or the actual IP address. It resolves the IP Address if I ping the URL. Tracert confirms that I am not pinging a locally cached version as well (not sure if it would do that with a ping anyway).

I'm going to try the following later this afternoon (when I get home):

1) Booting into Safe Mode (not sure if I'll have full network conn in this case, but still worth a shot)
    2) Using the NetShell command to reset the IP stack (netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and also do netsh winsock reset)
    3) Someone else suggested looking in the Registry, but I've no idea how I would make heads or tails out of that.
    4) System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe)

The name of the Windows Update that I did was the Malicious Software Removal Tool (Article ID: 890830) For some reason, deep down, I feel this is the source of the problems. But, that's probably just me grasping at straws at this point. ROFL

Thanks for the response,

Kevy Kev

4. TerminatorX

TerminatorX

what about runnin an av app....most of the nasties will hide in system restore...so when u restore u will still hav em runnin on ur system

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice