1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loss of internet connectivity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tristaan, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristaan

Tristaan Thread Starter

I've tried the help desk of my ISP and the help desk of NetGear and I still don't have a solution. So, I turn to the people who REALLY know what's going on, TechGuy.

I have an ADSL connection for my internet connection at home. The phone line is connected to an Alcatel SpeedTouch Home modem. I have the LAN connection of that modem going into the internet port of a NetGear RP614 DSL router/switch. Both devices are up to date on all firmware (at least as far as I can find from the manufacturers pages). My PC is running Windows XP Home edition and I'm using a NetGear NIC.

For the most part, on initial power up, everything works fine. However, regardless of whether or not a user is logged into the PC, the router will occasionally lose sync with the DSL Modem. By the indicator lights on the modem, it is functioning normally. Likewise, the indicator lights on the router appear as if it's functioning correctly. But no connectivity through the router to the internet is available without first cycling the power on the router and letting it re-connect to the internet connection.

Internal networking appears to be fine (using DHCP on the router to connect my two PC's on a LAN). I can browse my local network fine, access shares, and print on the shared printer. But internet connectivity is not available.

I need some advice as to how to proceed from here. I've found a few articles on the net concerning the Speedtouch home modem doing something called "frequency swapping" (article at http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/2000/06/26002.htm ) is best example. Could this be what I'm experiencing, where the modem has to swap frequencies? Or is there something else I need to take a look at?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. zeddy

zeddy

At the risk of stating the obvious, check with your ISP whether they prefer you to put in manual server addresses rather than automatic.

3. Tristaan

Tristaan Thread Starter

They prefer the dynamic DNS, etc. This is what I have currently configured. According to the help desk, my router is configured according to their specifications.

Update: I noticed that the "allow ping on network port" option was checked and my MTU was up at 1500. Taking the queue from some other sites I've visited, I turned off that ping option and reduced my MTU to 900. We'll see if that improves things.

Further responses and help would still be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice