1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loss of Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccarlile, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccarlile

ccarlile Thread Starter

My operating system is Windows XP Home. The system information indicates that I have 640mb of physical memory, but I only have just over 151mb of physical memory available. What happened to all of the memory and how do I fix this so I get the benefits of more memory?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How much memory is listed when you right-click My Computer, Properties?
    And where did the 151 number come from?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you are looking in Task Manager (and it sounds like you are), that is about right.

Your computer needs quite a lot of memory to run Windows and other essential applications, the 151 MB is what is presently unassigned.

At this moment I have 1048 MB installed but only 518 MB available.
    That is 530 being used.
    You have 489 used in your calculations.

Windows will use "virtual memory" (disk space) to avoid running out of RAM.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice