1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loss of speed on my Dialup connection!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by janlafata, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

It might not be anything. Just a temporary loss of bandwidth on the phone line, but I was fooling around with some Firefox tweak utilities and, at the same time, had just installed AntiVir antivirus, when I noticed that my online bits per second had gone from about 45000 to around 31000.

I am using a dialup connection and trying to fix up this older computer for my neighbor, but this bothers me! Like I said, everything was working fine even after I tweaked Firefox, but it seems like when I installed AntiVir, things changed.

By the way, the tweaks I used for Firefox are "Tweak Network Settings" and "Firetune". But what else controls the BPS settings in Windows XP. Is there something I could have messed up in Network Connections or something? Maybe deleted too many registry entries with RegCure or what not?

If I can't get my dialup speed back to 45000 BPS, I might uninstall, then reinstall Firefox, maybe even uninstall the antivirus! By the way I have set up a manual network connection. I am not using any dialup software from AT&T.
    And I'm just using Firefox, not IE. Suggestions are welcome.

2. seahawk83

seahawk83

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"jan - - ": "Maybe deleted too many registry entries with RegCure or what not?"

The consistent advice here at TSG is to NOT use any Registry "cleaner." See below.

{redoak}

Advice and Info re Registry 'cleaners'- excerpts from TSG, 10-07

The main reason they are apt to cause problems is because the cleaners do NOT just clean up stuff left over from uninstalls. They also "guess" that other items need to be deleted, many times incorrectly. They also attempt to "fix" references to files that no longer exist.

As a result, you can end up with programs that no longer work, functions that no longer work and in some cases a PC that will no longer boot.

There is no performance gains to be had by running these things. Windows does not read the entire registry when it is looking for something. It uses the keys which allow them to go straight to the item that they are looking for.

References:
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643
    http://www.computerhope.com/registry.htm

If you really want to see how active the registry is in your normal running environment, download and run Regmon.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896652.aspx

As you will see, the registry is constantly being accessed. If, for each of these, the entire file was being searched, your PC would be amazingly slow and not responsive.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry I am unable to cite and give credit to the authors.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Two settings that commonly get borked by tweak utilities are Max MTU and RWIN. For a dialup connection you want 576 for Max MTU (not 1492 or 1500). And 8192 for RWIN (the usual default) is usually adequate.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Loss of speed on dial-up? I would try updating the modem drivers first since this is the one thing that is liable to take a hit and mess up.

6. padutch

padutch

Do you have access to another pc to hook to your phone line to see if it gives the same readings ? Or you might take your pc to a friends place and check your speed there compaired to his . I know when I used dial-up the phone company did some work at a substation and I went from 45000 down to 26000 and they would do nothing to make it better .
    Dutch

7. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

That's right about, "they would do nothing about it." I was told by one of Verizon's reps that they only care about providing acceptable telephone service. So far as Internet connection, you take what you get with dial-up. Mine is only 28,800 bps way out in the country with no DSL or cable available.

{redoak}

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/688964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice