1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loss of wired network connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rfcjr, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

I have a recently purchased Acer laptop. Today when working online my network connection dropped and I was unable to reconnect. The computer would no longer recognize my wired home network. I finally restored the system defaults and I was able to again connect to my network. Can anybody help me determine where the problem might be so that I don't have to go through this if I were to again loose my connection? Thank you.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Kinda difficult to trouble shoot a problem after it has gone away. :)

What do you mean by "recognize my wired home network"? And by "restored the system defaults"?

3. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

I go to start>all programs>Acer>Acer eRecovery Management then to Restore and then choose Restore Operating system to Factory Defaults. When the problem existed my home network didn't even appear under network status and it was noted that I was not connected to a local area network. I hope this is enough information.I just didn't want to go through the restoration process if this were to happen again. Thank you.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ouch! I did not realize you had resorted to the "nuclear" option.

I cannot surmise what the problem was. If you want to browse through a bunch of threads in this forum you will find some possibilities. Best I can offer at this point is for you to start a thread here when/if you get another problem. In addition to your description of what's going wrong we will want to see ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

I have been away; but, thank you for the response. I did find that DHCP got disables somehow. I restored the image several times only to loose the working connection soon after. Finally when I enabled this I was back online. I have no idea how the DHCP gets disabled. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice