lost 33gb of my hard dirve

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

will182

Banned
my hard drive is 160gb and when i restore my computer it says its capacity is 150gb witch i understand it uses that mutch when i restore it but i have now restored it and formated it and when i go to my computer and click on properties of the c drive it says i have used 1.5gb and my hdd maximum capacity is 127gb this is odd becouse it used to say maximum capacity is 150gb so what is going on

will182

Banned
oh i cant get sp1 on my computer it keeps saying key is inalid or somthing so am i buggard

will182

Banned
also when it changed to 127gb it was when i was in the windows xp cd i deleated the partition and it changed to 127gb

do you have an original copy of windows xp? When you bought it did it come with windows installed? If thats the case then the place you bought it off oew you a new computer my friend!

will182

Banned
here is what happend

at first my hard drive went ok saying it had 150gb capacity on a 160gb hard drive witch i thought was ok and it is and i understand to have that mutch capacity on windows xp you have to have windows xp service pack installed but i dident and it still showed 150gb capacity and on my computer i was getting loads of viruses so i turned the computer off and put my windows xp cd in and somthing came up saying boot from cd so i did then it started to inspect my computer then i went on install a fresh copy of windows xp and then i deleated the partition and then i went to install a fresh copy of windows xp and then it came up saying i had 131gb hdd maximum capacity and when i installed windows it said 127gb so wat is going on i spent ours trying to fix this and nothing worked could someone help me on this

Will,

You said, "this is all babble to me i dont understand it"

Please update your Forum Profile with an honest measure of your "Experience" level. That way a person can tell how to direct an answer to you so that you can understand it! ;)

After reading your Post #10, I'm taking a guess that originally you had a level of XP installed that supported Disk Capacities over 127GB.

THEN you wiped it out and reinstalled a LOWER level of XP and lost that capability, which created your current problem.

Until you get the proper level CD to Partition/Format and Install with, you are in non-technical terms.....screwed!

Triple6

First Name
Rob
You need to make a 'slipstreamed' CD of Windows XP with at least Service Pack 1, or 2, and use that to install Windows. Since you say that it refuses to install because your Product Key is invlaid this won't work for you as when you go to install Widows it won't take your product key.

The second way to get around this is to install Windows XP, then install Service Pack 1(or 2), and then use something like Partition Magic to expand the partition size to the full size of the hard drive. You need to install the Service Packs because they add 48 LBA support which is required to get over the 127GB barrier in Windows.

If you have a pirated copy of Windows then you're out of luck. If you 'legitimately' bought it from someone then they sold you or installed a pirated copy.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online