Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost 35 GBs of hard drive

801 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lister 
#1 ·
After recovering from the Blue Screen of Death I find that I have lost 35 GBs of hard drive space. Is it still here somewhere or is it gone forever? What made it go away? Were these bad sectors being deleted?

My basics are: Windows XP Home, 180 GB Hard Drive, 512 MB Ram, now 75% free space.

Thanks for any suggestions.

#3 ·
Thank you for your interest. Blue Screen or "Blue Screen of Death" is simple to recover from. These instructions work for me so I wish you good luck. They are as follows:
Insert your XP disc and choose "Recovery".
When you get the DOS screen type in "CHKDSK /P or CHKDSK /R" (without the quotes and be sure to use a space between k and / ).
Choose "Fixboot and press Y"

Yes my system is back to normal but I lost quite a bit of hard drive. (bad sectors) Have no idea where it went but I don't care since everything works now.

#4 ·
The reason I asked is that there are a number of ways to recover from a BSOD. . the method you chose should not have added files, but you should be able to browse in Windows Explorer to see what might be there that was not before.

You could also do a search for files and folders that were created on the day you recovered to see what that might reveal.

Good luck . . wrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.