1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost 512mb ram in IBM thinkpad T30, winxppro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sabre54, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabre54

sabre54 Thread Starter

I recently replaced 2-256mb modules with 2-512mb modules, installation was successful and the machine ran faster for a while, but now my system properties in windows xp, only show 512mb of ram. I went into the BIOS and it also shows only 512mb. So I upgraded the bios to the latest version, but to no avail. Could this have anything to do with Winxp service pack 3? I also tried replacing one of the modules with the old 256 unit to see if the module itself was maybe defective, but the system still reports 512mb with one 512 chip and one 256 chip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

No it can't be SP3 because ram is detected at the BIOS level and if your only seeing 512 ram installed in the BIOS then it has nothing to do with the OS at all.

More than likely you have a defective memory slot on the MB of your laptop. This is really backed up by the fact the other known good RAM sticks you removed also don't work in this slot.

3. sabre54

sabre54 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would suspect the memory is simply not compatible. Was it bought from a place or site that guaranteed it as compatible your laptop?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/796146