1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost a lot of programs in a crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ArtIsABlast, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ArtIsABlast

ArtIsABlast Thread Starter

Earlier today, I was on the internet, and all of the sudden the browser shut off and around 30 error messages showed up. I don't recall what the errors were, but they were all the same just with different files (I think they were registry files). As I clicked cancel on each of the error messages, I saw the different icons on my desktop disappear one by one.

After this incident, I immediately system restored to two days ago, and everything seemed fine, except I just realized I'm missing a number of files. I had a folder of all my school work that I've done. The folder is still there, but the folders inside it are not there any longer. Do any of you know how to remedy this issue? I really need those files, both as a record of what I've done throughout the year!

Thanks!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can attempt to run data recovery software on the drive. Here is a link to a free one.
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

This is just one of the reasons why we stress backups so much. With an image backup of the drive, it is a very simple matter to restore files, folders, or a complete drive.

Remember data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

3. Hughv

Hughv

Rt-click the affected folders/properties.
    If "Hidden" is checked, uncheck it.

4. ArtIsABlast

How do I back up my files to an image file?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

There are also many commercial products with more features.

The image can be easily stored on a second hard drive, or an external drive. Your main drive will fail eventually.

6. ArtIsABlast

I ran the recovery tool, but I don't think it did anything. I don't understand how it wouldn't work, though, if I can open the files as recent files in Microsoft word, Excel, and Notedpad ++.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's been a lot of viruses/malware lately that have been hiding files/folders, I'd checked as advised to make sure they files are not hidden.

You may also want to search for the files, maybe during the crash it created a new user account and maybe the files are located in the previous account, either do a search or navigate to the C:\Users\ folder and see if there are any other user accounts/folders listed there that contain your data.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice