Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Admin user account when made non admin account

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  penne 
#1 ·
I just made a non admin user account on my Dell Inspiron (windows xp) laptop. When I went online to sign in under my account (admin) it is no longer there. My name (Penne) is there (and so is my daughters). I click on my name, put my password in and it takes me to the desktop for my daughter and ALL my stuff is gone. PLEASE HELP!!!
I have googled this and the only thing I am seeing is that you need to sign in under an Admin user account to fix this and get my stuff back. THere is NO admin user account so how can I get it all back? I did the F8 and went to restore to previous point and that didnt work. I know there is a way to go to the restore calendar and find a day that her user account was not on there (like last week) so this might work, but I dont know how to find this.
PLEASE help as all of my EVERYTHING is on my user account and I am lost without it all (have a retreat this weekend and I need all of my sheet music and my songs)
Thanks so much,
PENNE

#2 ·
at the login screen, try pressing Crtl+alt+del twice in a row, should pop up a dialog box so you can type in Administrator
Otherwise log on to a account which have admin previliges, goto start --> right click on "My Computer" then click "Manage".
In "Computer Management" window, goto "Users and Group" then "Users". Here you have a list of accounts on left hand side.
Make sure the admin account isnt locked or disabled

#3 ·
If this is XP, you might have to try restarting in safe mode to get at the admin account. From it you should be able to promote or create a new administrator.

#4 ·
the control alt delete doesnt work, and I only have the one user account for my daughter, there are no admin accounts, this is the problem. I cannot access anything to go back in and find my admin user account. It all says you have to go in from an admin user account. I don't have one. I know there is a way to go back to a previous day (state) when the computer was running with my admin account (before I put hers on) but I don't know where to go for this. I tried F8 when rebooting the system and clicked on that link but it didnt give me an option of a day to pick. How can I do this? thanks,Penne

#6 ·
I figured it out. I started in safe mode with networking. I then went into my computer, manage, computer management, users and group and users and went under mine to make sure it wasn't locked or disabled. It wasn't.

So I restarted the computer and clicked on my user name and it came up, didn't go to my daughter's user name like it was doing. All my desktop and programs and everything have been restored. Not sure what happened, I didn't change a thing, didn't do anything, but check it. Oh well, just thanking God for the miracle :)

Thanks!

p.s. I figured out how to restore to a previous date, when you do F8 in safe mode, when it asks you yes or no, hit no so it will give you the dates you can bring it back to.
So happy I have my puter back :)

Penne

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.