1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost all audio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by S_Grey, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S_Grey

S_Grey Thread Starter

Hi,

My computer, running Windows 7, hasn't been playing sound for some time now.

I've checked all the basic sound settings: the current application, Windows and my headphones. I haven't bought a separate sound card but I have been able to hear sound from the integrated sound from my motherboard in the past. I have bought an NVIDIA video card, series 610 from the top of my head, that seems to insist on saying it can supply the audio. It's listed under sound in Device Manager as well as Display adapters, anyway. I use these earphones in my laptop and iPod and they do work. I built my desktop PC, I've opened the casing to see if the audio supply to the front panel was connected properly, and I had the choice of HD and standard audio plugs, on the same wire. I tried both, to no avail. I was convinced the jack I plug my earphones into on the computer was broken, and asked for a new casing at the shop I bought it from. Even with the new box, and the new jack, my earphones didn't make a sound. I had planned on buying a USB to Audio adapter, but since it doesn't seem the plug is the problem I doubt this will work. Unless I'm missing something and it should? I now think that it's some crazy hidden option that's muted the audio output, or something loose that I can't see in the wiring. I'm willing to buy a USB adapter or a sound card for <£30 and I have a free AGP 3.3V slot on my motherboard.

Audio is essential for my work, and my old laptop has trouble running some of the programs I use.
    Any help on fixing the problem, or advice for a way around it would be appreciated.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Check the audio setup. The motherboard audio chipset should be set as the default output device.

The nVidia audio chipset is used to supply audio to the HDMI output of the video card. When installing a video card, most will set their chipset as the default audio output without prompting you.

3. S_Grey

S_Grey Thread Starter

Please, which "audio setup", and how to get to it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice