1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost all files from laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ma_pari9, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ma_pari9

ma_pari9 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me with following.

I am using Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. It was 1st time rebooted about 6 months ago after few years of purchase. After reboot, it was working fine.

However, 2 days ago I switched off at night as normal and when I switched on in the next day morning, I were shocked to see laptop was excatly in new mode (it was automatically rebooted and came into blank mode due to which I lost all files which were in desktop and my documents). After spending sometimes, luckily, I managed to find find back up in C:local disk. But again, yesterday I switched off in the night and switched on this morning and again laptop came back to blank and rebooted mode and lost all files which I could see yesterday. I am really worried as I have had all my course work from university. Can anyone help how to locate these files and how to stop this happening with laptop.

Thanks in advance for great help.

ma

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is there any blue screen when it reboots?

Go to Start > Run, and type:

sysdm.cpl

Under the Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery Options button, turn off automatic reboot when an error occurs and then tell us about any error messages that appear on any blue screens.

3. ma_pari9

ma_pari9 Thread Starter

nothing happens colourise. Each times I switch off and switch on laptop turns into manufacturer specification (I mean all icons and folders that I created in the desktop or my documents are lost and laptop seems to be in brand new stage). Plz help.

Thanks

4. ma_pari9

ma_pari9 Thread Starter

it does not have automatic reboot option. however there is a link called change 'start up option'. when i clicked in it the following message aopens in notepad.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried actually going through the recovery process to its completion by pressing Ctrl+F11 at the Dell logo?

Have you made any changes to the machine's partitions?

6. ma_pari9

ma_pari9 Thread Starter

nope, I have not done anything. each times i switch off and switch on it happens automatically.

7. ma_pari9

ma_pari9 Thread Starter

when i go to

START

MY COMPUTER

LOCAL DRIVE C:

DOCUMENT AND SETTING

MA PARI (NAME OF PROFILE)

MY RECENT DOCUMENTS ( I CAN SEE ALL THE NAMES OF FILES AND FOLDERS FROM PREVIOUS DESKTOP) BUT WHEN I CLICK TO OPEN IT SAYS IN DIALOGUE BOX " SHORTCUT MISSING" OPEN WITH

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That folder (Recent) is only shortcuts. The actual documents will be elsewhere. Do a search for them if you are not sure where they are.

9. ma_pari9

ma_pari9 Thread Starter

i searched everywhere but could not find. would you have some idea where do these files go automatically in such circumstances?

10. ma_pari9

ma_pari9 Thread Starter

I was using goolge chrome browser and had lots of bookmarks but they all are fine and still there as they were previously. thx

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

If the machine truly did go back to factory settings, you may find a folder in C:, at the root of the drive, that contains anything that was saved previously.

If you find your files, save copies of them. Then use the Ctrl+F11 to reload Windows. That may be the only way out of the cycle.

12. ma_pari9

ma_pari9 Thread Starter

well, if I do not know how to describe? if I say, it's gone to factory setting then all the files that were in C:/my documents are still there and I book marked so many links of the sites in Google Chromes and they are still there. But only folders, files that were in C:/desktop are missing and name of the files as "shortcut" in C:document and setting/my recent documents however I can not open then as system says it is not possible to locate them. Please can anyone help>>

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!