1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost all my music!! :( Help pls!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Distance, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Distance

Distance Thread Starter

I reinstalled xp a couple of days ago..

I can still acess files from before as i did an overinstall

I can acess the files from docs + settings => josh.(oldpcname)

But i have lost all my music!!! :eek::(

They were in shared docs, is there any way i can retrieve them as i have got gigs :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

2. Distance

Distance Thread Starter

3. Distance

Distance Thread Starter

4. valis

valis Moderator

where in shared docs are you talking about? c:\documents and settings\username? If so, they may be gone.....did you do a search for *.mp3?

5. BigC

BigC

what program were you using to get your music?

Limewire etc

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

What relevance does your question have to his situation?

7. robomatic

robomatic

I have had four different experiences along these lines. The first one was most similar to yours. I had been assembling a lot of downloaded and ripped music files onto an XP machine. XP went down for some reason and I re-loaded it from the CD. At that point I only saw a fraction of my music files, which had bee in a folder on the desktop. The same folder appeared, but about 90% of the well organized hierarchical arrangement was gone. What is most frustrating is that when I do a 'properties' on the drive it shows about 20 Gigs as 'used' which is about the size of the music mass. But I can only 'see' via Windows about 2 Gigs including the system. I have tried seeing into the drive via Knoppix which can find a lot of music files in a disjointed manner but have yet to recover most of the stuff.

I am still hoping there is a backup file structure that only needs to be accessed in the right way. A lot of my source material for the music is hard to retrieve (in storage in another state).

In another case, I had an internal data drive full of material and loaned it to a computer geek. He put the drive onto his older system and wasn't even able to see it. When he brought it back to me I could see it but the windows system didn't recognize it as a windows disk. Through Knoppix I was able to establish that a format byte had been changed, I changed it back and recovered the entire drive.

In another case a drive went bad, Maxtor test software indicated it was a hard drive failure, and I did a replacement.

In the last case I installed a hard drive as a slave to the C drive, but the computer was on a network, and the letter I chose for the slave drive was a letter the computer also expected to use as a network drive. At some point I think the computer system overwrote parts of my data drive, and it is unreadable to this day.

8. BigC

BigC

all these program have different file storage locations. and these are not all the same. some will save them to My music, others save them to user specified location

9. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

Have you done a search on the local disk for perhaps a song that you had? My guess is that if you search the whole HDD and the songs don't come up, then they are gone. :(

Just try searching your entire drive for *.mp3 or something like that.

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

All he was trying to do is troubleshoot your problem, you see some programs have certain places they save the files to. Personally I think it was a pretty good question. And I will apologize for you. He is sorry.

Try this program and read the instructions before using it.

File recovery program
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

Also a suggestion that in the future you back up your tunes and other data. Windows is very non-forgiving.

11. Distance

Distance Thread Starter

Hi tried searching for music.. nothing

*mp3 not work either! :(

will try file recovery now

i used bearshare and it was just in my shared docs => my music

12. valis

valis Moderator

back it up, is all I can say......I got 30 gigs of music, 3k plus photes of my son, taxes, all backedup to a post office box......

13. Distance

Distance Thread Starter

wont work :(

14. valis

valis Moderator

no no no.....in the FUTURE back it up.....data that isn't backed up is data you don't need.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice