1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost all of my audio

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kulaman, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kulaman

Kulaman Thread Starter

I have slowly lost my audio on my computer (Windows ME). At first it was my e-mail notification sounds now I get video but no audio on Windows Media player etc. I do not have any of my audio controls muted. Can't understand why this has happened. Can you help?

Kulaman

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Have you checked in 'Device Manager' under sound controllers or multimedia device. Does it show any conflicts? Is there a + - next to them? A yellow exclamation mark?

3. Kulaman

Kulaman Thread Starter

Yeah I have checked them. Under 'System devices' everything seems to be okay. 'Sound, video and game controllers' okay. Under 'Other devices' I have exclamation points next to SiS 0900 PCI fast ethernet adaptor and Thomsom DCM 305 cable modem. Multimedia drivers are fine.

Could it be setting in my Windows media player? Hmmmm.

4. iq454

iq454

Have you got a TV tuner card? Is the volume turned down on that? The Tuner card can use the line input of the soundcard, and if your WMP uses it as well, and you have closed your TV tuner card down but left the audio volume down on the tuner, it will then be down on everything else that uses the line input.

What about your music, does it work? Or is it just this video that has no audio? Any other videos have audio? Is your cord still plugged in the sound card? Are your speakers working?

You might need to download a codec pack, try downloading "sld pack" from HERE or try the much larger ACEMega pack HERE

5. Kulaman

Kulaman Thread Starter

Downloaded "sld pack" and it worked. How does that happen? Thanks a lot. I'll be sending in a donation to your site,

Kulaman

6. Kulaman

Kulaman Thread Starter

I still don't have any audio for new mail notification, opening programs etc. It's like there's no link to the folder where the sounds are 'Media'.

Kulaman

7. iq454

iq454

Different "encoders" use different techniques to encode their movies, or some media types have different codecs used(compression-decompression)

Example:
    Windows Media Player has its own set of codecs, wma, wmv and asf to name a few. Trying to play these types of media in players that don't support these codecs won't work. Many variations of codecs get used everyday, the most common now is, Xvid and Divx for video compression, ogg and mp3 for audio compression. All the packs do is install these codecs for you so all the players you use can use them to decode your media.

For future encounters of codec issues you can download GSPOT by right clicking HERE and "save target as". Once installed and executed you just drag and drop any media onto the window, it will then tell you what codec the media is done in, then you can make the correct choices on what codecs to download and install, sometimes it won't work if the coedcs aren't already installed, but it will tell you if it's a divx3 file, if it's a divx3 file, then you know that it's done in a divx codec, try different variations of divx. But now that you have sld pack, you should only encounter rare cases from now on, lik ean SVCD, If in future if you try and watch a movie that is an SVCD (mpeg-2), then you need an mpeg-2 decoder (usually not in codec packs) only used by dvd playing software like power dvd or windvd, there is a new player that allowes you the choice of this codec, it's called VLC Player.

One last thing you should get is FFSHOW, right click HERE and "save target as". FFDSHOW is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 movies. It uses libavcodec from ffmpeg project for video decompression, postprocessing code from mplayer to enhance visual quality of low bitrate movies, and is based on original DirectShow filter from XviD, which is GPL'ed educational implementation of MPEG4 encoder. FFDSHOW consumes way less CPU power than original DivX codecs, even with maximum post-processing.

Click start\settings\control panel\sounds, scroll the list to find "New Mail Notification" click it once, and in the sounds scroll list underneath that window, either browse for a sound you want by clicking the drop down menu, or click browse if you want to use your own sound. Do the same for anything else you want a sound for, experiment a bit.

"Desktop Architect" is good for this too, grab it HERE. Windows own sounds in control panel will do the same job, but you can do lots more with it, like set themes and change icons.
    No Problems.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice