1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost "All Programs" when Verizon did a remote fix

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skernk2, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Had major problems with Verizon security suite not working correctly and they told me to delete it and reinstall it. It deleted but would not reinstall so Verizon did a remote access and was unable to fix so they had McAfee also online doing the same and McAfee really messed up my computer. I then purchased "expert service" from Verizon (had no choice)and he managed to get my computer running again but afterwards I noticed that my "all programs" disappeared and only 6 programs show:
    Microsoft Update
    Set Program Access and Default
    Windows Catalog
    AOL9.6
    VZ in Home Agent
    I have since closed out McAfee though Verizon and installed another security program which seems to be working. How can I find where my All Programs files went?

2. UserBarZero

UserBarZero

can you use the sysinfo this site provides and post it up?

If you allow anyone remote access to your comp bad things can happen..'expert' or not. In my opinion..

I can't tell if you are using a tab mobile or comp, verizon what now? Just get a free anti-virus in my opinion. Most work good, they have too.

3. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for the information but I can't seem to find anything on the www.sisyinfo.com site. I am using a PC and currently do have a anti
    virus program. I just need to find out how to find my All Prgrams . I doubt that the remote deleted them as my programs wouldn't work it they had but they must have moved them elsewhere.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

UserBarZero was referring to SysInfo.

5. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+, x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1535 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 146969 MB, Free - 118831 MB; D: Total - 5636 MB, Free - 947 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A7N8X-LA
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

6. Phantom010

Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties. Select Start Menu and click Customize. Click the Advanced tab. Scroll to System Administrative Tools. Click to select either the Display on the All Programs menu or the Display on the All Programs menu and the Start menu option. Click OK , and OK again to save the change.

7. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Thanks for trying to help but unfortunately the old programs are still not showing up. I tried clicking on both display all programs as well all programs and start menu but only the six programs that I listed above show up. All the other programs that I had were moved somewhere or deleted.

8. Phantom010

Can you find your programs in one of the following locations?

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
    • C:\Documents and Settings\<current user>\Start Menu
    • C:\Documents and Settings\<current user>\Start Menu\Programs
    <current user> meaning your user name.

9. oshaileshmohan

oshaileshmohan

Hello,

At first remove your antivirus and instal panda cloud antivirus...its free for use and doesnot need to update...it is a cloud based antivirus.

And for your all programs....try this:

Try clicking Set Program access & defaults.

If no luck, you can either migrate the contents of the problematic account to the new working account or you can copy the icons to the new account.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Menu\

or

C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Start Menu\Programs\Start Menu\

or

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Start Menu\

to your folder.

Shailesh Jha

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

11. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Yes, I am able to find a folder "Programs" in both "all users" as well as "owner" but when I try to open the folder to see the contents I get a message "not accessible, access denied"

12. Phantom010

13. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Thank you all for trying to help. It did the recommended suggestions and still unable to find my original All Programs. What shows up is a group of 6 that I mentioned in my first message here which came up after Verizon Expert Service did a prgram to fix my computer so I guess they either removed all programs or moved them somewhere. My computer is running ok (not great) so if these programs were removed I would think I would be running into problems. If I do a search of programs like Windows Explorer that used to show up under acessories in All Programs it does show the root folder and I am able to click on there to run it. The only thing I have not done is Shailesh's suggestion migrating new accounts as I am not familiar with how to do that.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice