1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost all sound on my computer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by steelegal, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steelegal

steelegal Thread Starter

I'm running a Dell Dimension XP 2007 Home addition. I am also a beginner and not a computer geek. However, I'm not afraid to get at it and figure things out. After upgrading with Windows latest Internet Browser 7 my computer was so slow, it was like dial up. I ran "My Faster PC" and "Reg Cure" which didn't help much. I then ran "Uniblue Driver Scanner" and after downloading about 20+ driver updates, things started humming again. However, I have no sound. I've checked all the plug ins and they appear secure. HELP!

2. karbo

karbo Banned

Be sure you have the right sound card driver. Another thing, don't run any registry cleaners as they can do more harm than good.

3. steelegal

steelegal Thread Starter

Thanks Karbo, how do I check to see if I have the right sound card driver? Can I download a new sound card driver for my PC?

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    u can try going to the dell website which is dell support and look for the specific drivers for your dell model computer. that way u will get all of the correct ones u need.hope this helps u.

5. gdi1942

gdi1942

Check the status of the sound device in the device manager. if the status is normal you could try to rollback the sound driver. Go into the device manager, under the Sound, Video and Game controllers subtree, find the device that looks like your sound device's name. Right click it and go properties, select the driver tab, and select rollback.

Alternatively you could try to find the drivers, as mentioned above, for the computer on dells website and reinstall the audio driver.

6. steelegal

steelegal Thread Starter

I've since found out that my IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver has a yellow exclaimation mark over it. Also Dell doesn't have any audio drivers for my computer. I've also tried to restore to an earlier date and it won't let me.

7. gdi1942

gdi1942

I find it doubtful that Dell doesn't have your drivers, what is the exact model of your PC?

So when you say restore, you mean you tried to "roll-back" the driver or you tried system restore? When you tried were there any error messages that were displayed?

Since the device has a yellow exclaimation mark on it, what is the status of the device? Right click the audio codec driver and choose properties. The status will be in the lower half of the properties dialog.

Is your sound card a third party card as in installed separately from the motherboard? You can tell by where you plug in your speaker wires into the computer. If the wires are plugged into ports that are close to the rest of the connectors such as the printer, usb and video port, it is not a third party card. If the ports are located separately near the bottom of the tower in a row, it is a third party card. And the drivers required for that card won't be found on the dell page.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!