1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost audio device

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Varstrom, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Varstrom

Varstrom Thread Starter

Hello all,

I'm new here and would like to ask a question. I have a compaq presario that my brother-in-law upgraded from windows xp to windows 7. Well, because of that, I lost my audio device. I have a high definition audio device listed with a yellow sign next to it. And I have get an error message that says "This device cannot start (code 10)". I updated the driver and it says it's up-to-date. I also tried to uninstall and reinstall to no avail. I also clicked on the volume button to troubleshoot the driver and I get a message that says high definition audio device has a problem.

I went to windows support, but they have no audio drivers for windows 7. Is there anything else I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    varstrom

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model number of that Compaq Presario?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number(P/N) on the sticker is.

--------------------------------------------------------

If it originally came with Windows XP pre-installed, there may not be Windows 7 drivers for all of its devices.

3. Varstrom

Varstrom Thread Starter

It is a V5204NR

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and software site for the Compaq Presario V5204NR laptop.

This site should be added and saved in the browser favorites/bookmarks list so it can readily be referred to when needed.

---------------------------------------------------------

According to that laptop's product specifications section, it came with Windows XP Home Edition SP2 pre-installed.

It has a Conexant High Definition Audio device.

The software and driver downloads section has a driver for it for Windows XP, but not for Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Have you done a scan at Windows Updates to see if there's possibly a Windows 7 driver available to download and install?

---------------------------------------------------------

That laptop came with only 512 MB of RAM, but it supports up to 2048 MB of RAM.

If it's going to run Windows Vista or Windows 7, it's going to need to be maxed out with RAM.

A Windows XP Home Edition recovery disc kit for that laptop appears to still be available here for purchase for $27.00 plus shipping.

If you're forced to remove Windows 7 and go back to Windows XP, you'll need it.

5. Varstrom

Varstrom Thread Starter

Thank you all I think I have to go back to xp.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree.

Add more RAM anyway if you want to have more speed and snappiness in that laptop.

----------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice