1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Backup on Dropbox?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LaurenC, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LaurenC

LaurenC Thread Starter

Hi, a week or so ago I asked a question about backing up my pictures, documents etc before I cleaned my laptop and put it back on original settings -can't find post right now.

I thought I had saved my stuff to Dropbox which was already on my desktop - because when I opened the icon I saw my documents etc and had been told Dropbox would save my stuff automatically. But now when I go into my Dropbox account my documents are nowwhere to be found.

Can anyone explain this? Or have any idea how I can salvage stuff? I'd just started working on a book and this is really vexing, thanks.

2. Rearden

Rearden Banned

I remember responding to your other request for help. You copied your files to the Dropbox folder on your computer, then you waited until everything was copied to the Dropbox account in the cloud, and you verified it by looking at your account online. Are you saying now that your Dropbox account in the cloud is empty? That wouldn't happen unless you deleted the files on a computer linked to the Dropbox account.

3. LaurenC

LaurenC Thread Starter

Thanks Rearden, yes I do remember you helping before!

I don't think I understand how this works properly - I opened the Dropbox that was already on my laptop (before I cleaned computer) and I saw my files in there. I didn't realise I had to copy that to anywhere else - how would I do that?

Thanks!

4. Rearden

Rearden Banned

You don't have to copy them anywhere else. You have to wait until all the files in that folder are uploaded to Dropbox. I told you that in the other post.

5. LaurenC

LaurenC Thread Starter

Thank you. So I don't understand why when I logged into my Dropbox account from my newly cleaned computer there were no such files in my Dropbox? (I thought I'd missed something that I had to do._

Would love to understand this. Thanks Rearden!

6. Rearden

Rearden Banned

Did you wait until all the files were uploaded? Did you log into your Dropbox account through your web browser and verify all the files were there? If you didn't do these things, then the files are gone. I'm sorry. I thought my advice was clear. You had to wait until everything was uploaded, and you only have 2GB of space for free. If you copied more than that to the Dropbox folder, it wouldn't be uploaded.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!