1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Bookmarks from Chrome/Mozilla

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gmurdak, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmurdak

gmurdak Thread Starter

Apologize for incorrect terms . Ill be as specific as i can remember. Windows 7.
    1. The mess started when I couldn't log into windows. Read somewhere to access in Safe Mode and change some stuff. Cant even remember what I did but it seemed to work.
    Apparently under my C drive it made a copy of my username. I was able to retrieve my Videos/ Pics/ Documents. That part was good. I didn't loose everything.

2. I should note I did do a restore to about 2 days before I first was locked out, thinking that would bring things back. That did not work.

3. So the main problem is I cannot retrieve my Bookmarks from Chrome and Mozilla. Some stuff I read was online was that things may be hidden? I tried the /%appdata%/ suggestion I read somewhere but really had no idea what to look for.

Any tips? I really need to get both Chrome and Mozilla bookmarks back if at all possible. Chrome and Mozilla are still on my laptop, just everything I had saved with them are gone.
    Thank you so much for any input.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Your profile for Mozilla Firefox is C:\Users\<account>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<8 random characters>.default

In that folder bookmarks are the places.sqlite file; backups are in the bookmarkbackups folder.

EDIT: do the following while Firefox is closed.

My advice is to save the contents of your current profile, delete all contents, and then copy the entire contents of the old profile into your current one. When you next launch Firefox it should look just as it did the last time you used it from your old account. If something fails badly you still have your backed up current profile's contents. If this process works as it should then you can delete the old (saved) contents in a day or two.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185035