1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LOST both cd/dvd drives

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ellabbs, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ellabbs

ellabbs Thread Starter

hi,

ok , let me explain,

ive been having mega problems with this rogue pc running painfully slow, and locking up, to the point i thought i need to reformat and start again... so, i copied all the files i want to a seperate drive, without much hassle.

I noticed when i right clicked to look at a files properties, windows installer would spring into action trying to install strong vault online back up service. I closed it before it started and then the drop down list would appear as normal...

i put a windows 7 disk in the cd drive and rebooted, stopping off at the cmos settings to change the boot priority which i changed to cdrom and no other device after it, so cd would be the only thing it would look for.... i re-booted

and it could not see the cd in the drive, in fact it didnt even look for the cd, id expect the drive light to come on and it give a few whirrs.... but nothing, onscreen message was install boot disk press ctrl alt del to restart.

i tried another cd drive which i know is good and exactly the same....

when i start windows and go into view the contents of the drives they show no disk in at all. even tho there are disks in both of them .... nero even asks me to insert a disk when there is one in ..... ive done a virus scan and removed 4 suspicious objects.... re-booted and still not contents visible on the cd drives.... i have a ide drive and a sata drive its not the drives....

help .... im getting really peed off with this now.. somethings s******ing at me and i cant find it .... lol

thanks for any advice..... i think it might be a bios virus, so i installed a bios update from hp's site.

the board is a asus a8m2n-la 2 gig unmatched ram, 256 meg ati pci-e graphics card athlon chip

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Is the cd drive you refer to an actual CD drive or DVD/CD combo drive? It won't recognize a Windows 7 DVD if it is only a CD drive.

3. ellabbs

ellabbs Thread Starter

no its a cd/dvd drive and i was using them earlier today....

i can right click on the drive icon in my comp... and choose eject on both and the drwers glide out... put a disk in and close the drawes and i would expect windows to look at the disk... ie... the light comes on and it gives out a whirrr or two... but nothing... it just closes and stays closed... no light/action or whirring or anything ... it doesnt look at the disk at all...

this is the problem...

just updated firmware in one and still no joy ....

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!