1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost But Saved Microsoft Word 2007 Document

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jprihoda, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jprihoda

jprihoda Thread Starter

I'm going to tell the whole story incase the answer is somewhere lost in one of the steps I took. I'm writing a paper for school and it needs to be on Word 2007. I have two accesses to this type of Microsoft Word. At my boyfriend's house and at school. I started it at my boyfriends house and didn't have my flash drive, so I e-mailed it as an attatchment to my yahoo e-mail. When I was at school, I opened it and worked on it again. I saved it. Later still at school, I opened it, worked on it again and saved it. As I was saving it I realized that the one I had originally opened from my boyfriend's house was the file extention .docx and the file extention my school uses, even though they both are Microsoft Word 2007, was .doc. So I saved it twice just incase one file wouldn't open. When I got to my boyfriends house, I opened the .doc file. It came up and I finished my paper. Throughout working on it, I randomly and continually clicked the "save" button. Not the "save as". When I was finally finished, I went to upload it onto the internet to turn it in like I always do, and I couldn't find it. I of course closed the program before I realized I couldn't find it, so I couldn't try to resave it as something else. I know I saved it more than once. I looked everywhere I can possibly think of!! The recent documents, my documents, everything.

I really need help. Please someone tell me there's a way to find it. It must be hidden inside this stupid machine!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It "saved" to a temporary folder. If you've searched the whole drive for the file name and it didn't show up, then it has already been wiped out. When working with e-mail attachments, you need to save it to a known location before making changes to it.

3. jprihoda

jprihoda Thread Starter

I searched recent documents and temporary internet files and it isn't there. The part that really confuses me is that I did click save. So.. the computer didn't read my command or what?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The file was saved to a temporary location. That folder usually gets deleted when the e-mail program is closed or the computer is restarted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/863795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice