1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost CD/DVD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by w38colley, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. w38colley

w38colley Thread Starter

I had a power outage a few days ago and 2 things happened. My computer(Compaq Model SR115CL 2800+ using Windows XP with Service Pack 2 will not recognize that I have a Cd/DVD player and it will not shut down anymore.
    When I tried to download the drivers for the CD I am told the software is there but the system cannot locate the hardware. My music which is already in the system palys just fine. I am at a loss I really do not want to have to spend 2-300 dollars to get someone to tell me how to fix it.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Power outages can be quite damaging, due to the power system disturbances that accompany them.

Not quite sure what you mean by "When I tried to download the drivers for the CD " though, as Windows does not need "drivers" for a CD, they are part of Windows.

Possibly you mean the burning or playing software itself, not the actual drivers?

Can you advise if the CD/DVD device shows up under Device Manager, and if there are any exclamation marks in yellow beside it?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also, does your computer recognize the CD ROM's (through the CMOS)? If the computer won't, the operating system won't either.

4. w38colley

w38colley Thread Starter

When I checked the Device Driver there is a yellow exclamation point by the CD/DVD Device

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If after you remove CD Burning software, you can no longer access your CD ROM's,
    the following registry keys need to be deleted:

Locate and delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters values under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

You can download a reg file to do this automatically at
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/cd_restore.reg

6. w38colley

w38colley Thread Starter

:) Bob you are a genius. That worked. Thank you very much

Wes Colley

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad the simple fix worked and thanks for posting back.

8. teengeekgrrl

teengeekgrrl

To prevent this from happening again... :)

They make these things (I can't remember exactly what they're called :() that are like batteries built in to surge protectors. You plug your computer into it and plug it into the wall like an ordinary surge protector, but it has a battery in it that will run your computer for five minutes or so after the power shuts off, to give you enough time to save your work and shut your computer down properly. And if the power just blips off and back on, then nothing will be interrupted at all. :) I have one and it's a real lifesaver. :) hope this helps! :D

btw they're not too expesive, they run about sixty bucks but places like Officemax have really good sale prices on them every so often. :D

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you have a little extra to spend, I like to recommend getting the battery backup that will automatically shutdown your computer in case of a power failure. Then if it is left on when no one is around, you still get the necessary protection.

10. teengeekgrrl

teengeekgrrl

I think mine does that... not sure---never needed that function. =/ But battery backups are great things. :)

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Some do. Some don't. If there isn't something like a serial or USB connection to the computer from the battery backup, it doesn't.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/369155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice