1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost cd-rom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tnt4127, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tnt4127

tnt4127 Thread Starter

I'm using wnds98se. Puter has been freezing up and working slow. I had a file virus and got rid of it. My system was still acting slow and constantly small freezing on screen. I installed a tdk velocd 24x10x40 burner and 256 memory. Cd burner was doing great. System still acting up while on and off line. used scandisk, defrag and still having freezing up. Installed aedos antivirus to scan dos for problems..It deleted something. Now te nero sftware with my cd-rw said i could only burn pic cds. Error message came up on nero .....win-aspi part of windows 95/98/me files error:16 no adapters...I deleted nero so I could reinstall. Now I have no cd-rom . My system is as if it is not there at all. Cannot use my recovery software because my system wil not run the disks. What do I do now. also when rebooted message said a conflict with anyprotv 3.01 anywhere antivirus..system will not function propely until something is done.

2. beach51

beach51

Hi tnt,Welcome to TSG,not sure if this will work but lets give it a try.Go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in Ms-Dos>at the c:\ prompt type
    Scanreg /Restore (hit the enter key) Pick a date prior to this happening (up to 4 days ).

Note,Notice the space between the g and /

Lets us know if this works for you.

3. slipe

slipe

You can probably get your CD-ROM back by: Right click My Computer>Properties>Device Manager. Double left click the CDROM heading and highlight the CD-ROM drive. Go to the bottom of the Device Manager and select “Remove”. OK the dire warnings and reboot.

You can then probably get your burner working again by downloading Check ASPI and Force ASPI from here: http://www.cyrus.troy.btinternet.co.uk/downloads.htm
    If the Check ASPI shows your ASPI bad, use these instructions to use Force ASPI to rebuild it: http://www.flexion.org/aspi/

Most AV programs have a way to bypass the boot check. Look at your documentation or help files. With Norton AV you hold down one or both Alt keys according to the version.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice