1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost connection to Internet. Using Cable modem, ethernet cable.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sloanthrasher, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sloanthrasher

sloanthrasher Thread Starter

Hi,

A week ago, my computer suddenly could not connect to the internet. I was using a cable directly connected to the cable modem.

Since then, I've tried:

1) Added a WiFi router connected to the cable modem. Tried using the WiFi card built in to the computer. It connects but reports "limited access", and there is no connection to the internet, and I can't access the router itself.

2) Bought a new Ethernet card, installed the drivers that came with it. I've tried it connected through the WiFi router's hard ports and directly to the modem. Hard resets (power cycling off 2 minutes) on the modem each time and still no connection.

3) In device manager, both Ethernet cards show as "working normally" with no errors. So does the WiFi card.

4) ipconfig shows only "tunneling" devices with media disconnected.

5) I've uninstalled and re-installed the drivers for the on-baord Ethernet, the WiFi card, and the new Ethernet card.

After reading some other posts, I captured the output from ipconfig and several netsh commands. I've attached them to this post. The files starting with netsh are basically the command entered with underscores replacing the spaces from the commands used to generate them.

I also borrowed another computer. It connects both directly through the cable modem, and using the Ethernet ports on the router. It doesn't have WiFi, so I couldn't test that method of access. It can also connect to and configure the router, but I haven't made any changes.

The router is a NetGear G54 N/150.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Sloan

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you do an ipconfig /all - see below

i cant see any adapters in the one posted

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

Safemode with networking
    with a cable connected from PC to router
    check the cable - see if there is a light on the router associated with the cable port used , also check if you have a green/yellow light on the PC LAN port (some PCs do not have any lights on the LAN port - so ignore)
    - try safemode with networking (sometimes wireless does not work with safemode )
    as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
    safemode with networking - see if that works

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ipconfig /all

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
    Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

For Windows 8
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

3. sloanthrasher

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried safe mode with networking, still didn't work.

The ipconfig_results.txt file has essentially the same thing as with all, but I've attached a file with the results using just /all.

In device manager, all three adapters show up without a yellow flag, and when I view the properties, they all report that the device is operating normally.

The lights on the PC Ethernet ports and the router look correct. When connected to the modem directly, the light for the internet connection also looks to be correct.

Sloan

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you dont have any network adapters in the ipconfig /all
    this maybe due to a firewall or security suite, as requested

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

also do a tcp/ip reset

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

For Windows Vista/Windows 7
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):​

For Windows 8
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

• Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
    • Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
    • Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
    ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):
    Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    also the link has a Microsoft Fix it , which will do the above for you

5. sloanthrasher

Hi,

I've been using AVG for years, and based on what I read in other threads, I've disabled it as part of the testing. Kasperisky (sp?) was installed when I purchased the computer, but was un-installed several years ago.

I've run the commands as requested, both in series, and then again with a restart after each. Here's the results:

In the command prompt as Administrator:

Command:
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    Output:
    Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
    You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

Restarted the computer....

Command:
    netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    Output:
    Reseting Interface, OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

Command:
    netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    Output:
    There's no user specified settings to be reset.

Command:
    ipconfig /all
    Output:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : primaryPC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{927C7A30-2C13-401D-AEC2-D19F065B98DF}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

It seems really strange that none of the network devices appear in the output of the ipconfig /all command even though they show in the device manager with no errors, and claim to be operating normally. Same thing in the network manager where it lists the devices. I'm certainly no expert, but that seems to be a significant clue as to where the problem might be.

I've attached several screen shots including the device manager and network & sharing center. I'll add another reply to attach the rest of the screenshots.

Attached Files:

6. sloanthrasher

More screen shots....

Attached Files:

7. sloanthrasher

Last of the screenshots...

Attached Files:

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you uninstall those - using the tools
    AVG Removal Tools
    http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities
    http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities

> removal tool, that can be used with AVG 2013 and 2014 http://www.avg.com/tools#tba2 - > on Installation Tab > use the AvgRemover
    > removal tool, that can be used with AVG 2012 http://www.avg.com/tools2012.tpl-mcr1#tba2 -> on Installation Tab > use the AvgRemover
    > removal tool, that can be used with AVG 2011 http://www.avg.com/tools2011.tpl-mcr1#tba2 -> on Installation Tab > use the AvgRemover
    > removal tool, that can be used with AVG 9.0 http://www.avg.com/tools9.tpl-mcr1#tba2 -> on Installation Tab > use the AvgRemover
    > removal tool, that can be used with AVG 8.5 http://www.avg.com/tools8.tpl-mcr1#tba2 -> on Installation Tab > use the AvgRemover

Kaspersky Removal Tool
    A link to Kaspersky - this varies with different versions
    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463
    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=193239279

9. sloanthrasher

Hi,

I've uninstalled AVG, and Kaspersky was already uninstalled - I verified it doesn't exist.

I ran the ipconfig /all again, with the same results as before.

Sloan

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i think we now on to repair

can you run SFC /scannow

what windows version do you have
    vista/W7 ?

11. sloanthrasher

Hi,

I'm running win7, home premium.

I ran the command and here's the results:

Command:
    SFC /scannow

Output:
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 75% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

Since that command stopped with an error mesage at 75%, I re-ran it with verifyonly:

Command:
    SFC /verifyonly

Output:
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations. Details are included in

the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I've attached the log file and the filter log.

Sloan

Attached Files:

12. sloanthrasher

I forgot to mention that all of the command line stuff is being run as an administrator

13. sloanthrasher

Hi,

I found another thread on another site that had a command to list just the lines from the SFC command, and I've attached it here.

It shows these files as needing to be replaced:

CNFRA8.ICC
    CNFRA9.ICC
    CNFRAA.ICC

All are part of: wiaca00c.inf

Here's the relevant lines from the attachment:

2014-02-18 17:35:47, Info CSI 00000476 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"CNFRA8.ICC" of wiaca00c.inf, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
    2014-02-18 17:35:47, Info CSI 00000477 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"CNFRA9.ICC" of wiaca00c.inf, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
    2014-02-18 17:35:47, Info CSI 00000478 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"CNFRAA.ICC" of wiaca00c.inf, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
    2014-02-18 17:35:51, Info CSI 00000479 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"CNFRA8.ICC" of wiaca00c.inf, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
    2014-02-18 17:35:51, Info CSI 0000047a [SR] This component was referenced by [l:184{92}]"Microsoft-Windows-Client-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385.INF_wiaca00c"
    2014-02-18 17:35:51, Info CSI 0000047b [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"CNFRA9.ICC" of wiaca00c.inf, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
    2014-02-18 17:35:51, Info CSI 0000047c [SR] This component was referenced by [l:184{92}]"Microsoft-Windows-Client-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385.INF_wiaca00c"
    2014-02-18 17:35:51, Info CSI 0000047d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"CNFRAA.ICC" of wiaca00c.inf, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
    2014-02-18 17:35:51, Info CSI 0000047e [SR] This component was referenced by [l:184{92}]"Microsoft-Windows-Client-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385.INF_wiaca00c"

Hope that helps!

Sloan

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  15. sloanthrasher

Hi,

It's a Gateway DX-4840.

I've tried several times to make the recovery DVD without success, so I don't have that available.

So, if the files aren't a good clue, what could cause network devices that show as operating correctly in device manager not to be able to connect or to show as not operating elsewhere when trying to connect?

Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1120155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice