1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost connections to Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mama, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mama

mama Thread Starter

My office has Windows 2003 server, we have 10 workstations with 2000 pro.
    We are connected to DSL
    There is a Firewall/Router/modem for internet access. We have a cable from it to our network switch. The server and all workstations have cables to the network switch.

Our problem is: Sometimes one or all of the workstations will not be able to connect to the Server. Which causes us not to be able to get to our Accounting software or to the internet. We find this happens when there is an interruption to the internet connection.

We shut down all the computers, reset the Internet Router, then turn on the computers and we can connect.

The ISP had a man set everything up for us. So I am not too sure how the server is set up.

My question is , should we set up another computer as the DHCP server and the server we have only as a file/print server. So when the Internet disconnects we will still be able to connect to the server for files and printing.

Or is there settings on our server that need changed.

I know I have not given you all the information that you need but, I will get the answers for you, I hope someone can help.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice