1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KingElvis, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KingElvis

KingElvis Thread Starter

Hello Everyone and thanks for reading,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop which has a bad onboard network port (not working). After updating the bios so I can disable it, I have loaded a fresh install of XP Pro. Everything seemed to be working fine, I got an ip and it connected to my network/internet fine, updated my anti-virus software, updated all the patches for Windows up to and including SP2. The last thing I did was take care of the last remaining driver updates from Dell's site.

After a re-boot, I have lost connectivity to my network/internet. I checked the cable and port connection with another laptop to make sure it is still functioning. I have re-booted several times and tried renewing the ip a few times. I have uninstalled the device and re-booted and I have also turned off Windows firewall. I cannot ping 172.0.0.1 which tells me the card is bad but I tried a different card and it's the same thing. The network card btw is a 3Com cardbus 10/100. I also tried to ping my gateway and another pc on my network to no success.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am at wits end. I'm starting to think that this laptop is possessed!

Thanks.

2. blin

blin

what's the ip address? you may ping 127.0.0.1 instead of 172.0.0.1.
    you should

3. KingElvis

KingElvis Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Blin, what you wrote is what I meant. Sorry for the typo.

Anyways, I tried just turning it off and leaving it for awhile and it worked! :confused: :eek: :D :eek: (y)
    Looked up the ip address and it's 192.168.1.118 which is high considering I only have 5 computers hooked up to my linksys wireless router. There is probably a way to reset my router for this but I don't know how just yet so I'll have to do some reading.
    If someone could point me the right direction, I would really appreciate!

Thanks.

4. coulterp

coulterp

Depends on the range the router is set to allocate in (and in any case does it really matter much?)

Say it was a WRT54G (user manual wrt54g_ug.pdf) then there's detail in the User Guide about the "DHCP" GUI page, and the (non-wireless) befsr41_ug.pdf user guide defines the same defaults. You can change the router IP address and subnet on the DHCP page. It says the default IP starting address is 192.168.1.100 (with a default number of DHCP clients of 50) -- so you 192.168.1.118 may not be so far out as you might think.

5. KingElvis

KingElvis Thread Starter

Hey thanks alot. Appreciate the input and you make alot of sense, I guess I was looking into things that weren't there.

Thanks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice