1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost control of mouse and keyboard after installing INF driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gruskt, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gruskt

gruskt Thread Starter

Yesterday I successfully wiped my computer and reinstalled windows. Everything seemed to be fine until I tried to install the INF driver. It did its thing and then said click next to continue. At this point I realized my mouse and keyboard didn't work. I restarted the computer and noticed that the mouse and keyboard glowed as if they were working until windows started up at which point they stopped glowing and I couldn't use them. Because of this I'm pretty sure I have access to the BIOS options but nothing else. Does anyone know what went wrong or how I can fix this problem? A speedy response would be greatly appreciated as I now have limited access to a computer.

2. helpful

helpful

Try last known configuration. Instructions can be found here.

If successful do a driver rollback for the device you unsuccessfully updated. Instructions found here.

3. gruskt

gruskt Thread Starter

Will this work even though my computer starts up properly? I just don't have use of my keyboard and mouse. Also, do you have any idea why this problem occurred and how I can install the necessary drivers without risk?

4. helpful

helpful

Yes hit F8 just after the BIOS POST (Power on Self Test) and before the XP splash screen.

I would recommend downloading the latest drivers from the device manufacturers website. Most device manufactures include a driver setup exe loader that you should use, very rarely anymore will you need to manually update device drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!