1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost D and E-drives

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mozaicfriend, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mozaicfriend

mozaicfriend Thread Starter

I don' know when it happened. I was havin trouble defragmenting and i fixed that by trying a few things from microsoft support, which included deleting folders in applog & Quick launch toolbar and then defragmenting in safe modeThat worked and i did'nt notice right away untill i tried to read a cd something was wrong. I went to control panel no more e or d drive Ican't even reinstall cd writer because it will not read. in the systems configuration utility start up not much is checked but i don't see anything that says e or d drive. we also had a power outage when i was on. can i restore what has been elimated without using a recovery disk? I am a real novice at all of this. So please give insructions like you are talking to an idiot. i have a compaq fs740 with win98.

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi moziacfriend, Welcome to TSG !!
    When you reboot do you see the drives being found??
    Right click My Computer, Properties Device manager.
    Do you see a listing for dvd /cdrom drives?

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Right click on My computer and open Properties. Click on the Device manager tab and see if there are any entries with red or yellow marks.

4. mozaicfriend

yes there are 2 yellow! under hard disk controller Primmary IDE controller and secondary when i click i get a code 10 disabled device i tried what micro support suggested for win95 i went CMOS settings and pressed detect drivers and exit rebooted but nothing has changed that was yesterday, than i performed a scandisk still nadda. there is also a yellow! under Floppy disk controllers standard floppy disk controller and 2 big ? under other devices and PCI bridge all say update this device, when i do it gives me the code 10.

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

OK, one at a time, click the + to expand the IDE controller and then highlight the problem file. Then delete it and reboot. As windows starts up it should search for, find, and install the required driver. I would start with your floppy disk controllers first, then your secondary IDE and last your primary IDE controller.

Do one at a time and reboot. They should be reinstalled. Worst case is it will ask you for the CD for your mother board or IDE controller card if you have one.

Let us know how it goes.

6. mozaicfriend

i don't know what an IDE controller is. i looked thru all my cd's and disks and i have the win 98 start up disk & i have win98 what looks like a set up cd. I am afraid to lose important files if i have to start over. The via bus master pci IDE controller under 1st and secondary is'nt marked( the parent device ) since the computor is not reading anything i put in i am really scared. are all the things in the start up menu that are unchecked available after start up or disabled? i so appreciate your help I'm just nervous

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

First, an IDE controller is what "controls" or helps to read your IDE devices such as hard drives and CD ROM's and CD burners.
    Sometimes the drivers for this get corrupted and must be re-installed.

As for things in your start-up menu (I presume that you mean the items displayed when using Msconfig) the items that are checked start at the time you boot up your computer and start windows.

The items that are NOT checked are still there and can be started by going to Start > Programs Menu and starting them from there. Generally speaking, the fewer things you have starting up, the smoother your pc runs. It makes no sense to start something every time if you only use it once a week or once a month.

We can look into your start-up items and see what is and isn't needed. But first let's see what we can clean up on the controller issue. Start with the floppy drive first and let's see if that one cleans up. Let us know the results.

8. mozaicfriend

i don't have an IDE card if I do this could my computer be more messed up than it allready is or will it just stay the same

9. mozaicfriend

well i started with the floppy disk controller and it looked like everything was going fine it said reinstalling new driver at start up menu then i checked it and it still has the yellow!. when i try to update driver it says i have the right one but there is another option it gives me to search for a new driver, should i do that or what next

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you right click on my computer, properties, preformance.....does it say dos compatibility mode there?

11. mozaicfriend

yes it does it shows a and c drives are working with dos compatibility

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

13. brindle

brindle

moziadfriend
    In reply to your PM, yes everybody sees your question and all to responses. Hang in there and remember to refresh often so you can read all new replies and keep a dialog going with the person or persons helping you.
    Does that answer your PM question?

14. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

We will wait for the results from the NOIDE fix in the link that Candy provided.

15. mozaicfriend

after trying everything suggested almost, and so many hours the problem of the disappearence and all the yellow ! on my floppy disc drive & ide controllers was in my file system properties. i found something that said "removable disk" i clicked on it and found that : write behind caching on all removable disk drives: was not checked so i enabled it, after that was an area that said "troubleshooting" i clicked and much to my surprise there was a check mark on :disable all 32-bit protected mode disk drivers: so i unchecked that. i have no clue how any of that stuf got altered. I don't go in there seeing how i am a novice and don't know what caching is but disableing disk drives didn't sound good. then i did what you all told me & reinstalled the drivers one at a time.....Presto all drives back no more yellow ! BUT when i put in an audio cd it looks like it's playing on real one player but no sound . there is sound thru kazaa. I put a game in and it said the game preformed an illegal operation close it. So in other words it still won't read a cd. There is still a yellow ? on other devices ( when clicked it says microsoft kernel system renderer (code 28) err code:1fb and a yellow ? on pci bridge. i do have an option of (disable in this hard ware profile) as opposed to exists in all (which is checked). I don't know what to do. I want to thank all of you for your help i have learned alot but not enough.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!