1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost data on linux installation

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by shadyXV, Apr 12, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. shadyXV

shadyXV Thread Starter

Yesterday I installed Elementary OS over lubuntu.
    While asked for option to select partition for installation I selected "Delete all apps and data on lubuntu and install" and this formatted my whole hdd and made into one single block of 150gb.
    I know I should have seleced the custom option but the damage is done now.
    Is there any way I can get the hdd into its old condition with all the data as it was in the exact folders.
    I haven't written anything over the disk after the installation.
    Please help me I am really frustrated , detailed answer will be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You can try data recovery software or a data recovery service and probably recover some data. The chances of getting all the data back is infinitesimal.

Much better to just use your most recent backup.

3. Bernard20

Bernard20

You can use PhotoRec to recover deleted files. It recover files by finding deleted files and copying them to disk. This means that files should not be recovered to the same disk partition on which the deleted files reside (unless you're recovering from a disk image file), because it will overwrite the data permanently. When you recover files than a large amount of files would be recovered, therefore you would require large amount of disk space.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188327