Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Data

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a Seagate 3T desktop expansion, after a recent power failure, the drive is inaccessible. It is seen by the computer as a local disk, but that is it. I have been scouring the net for recovery programs, so far nothing actually sees the drive. I had a flash drive in at the same time and it also is inaccessible. This happened with a 1T Seagate drive, and I was able to recovery the files using M3 Data, however every time I run it freezes with 4 seconds left. Seagate offered to recover the files for $600. I told them they "out their minds". Any information as to why this happens and how to prevent it would be appreciated and ANY help with recovery would also be greatly appreciated.

PS I will NEVER Buy a Seagate drive again, EVER!

#2 ·
When you say power failure, what was the cause? The actual PSU, or an external failure? I assume the latter, in which case was it a total loss of power, or a fusebox blow? IT is quite possible that a power spike was present immediately before the failure, and this can affect electrical appliances badly. In this case, I would think that too much power went to a number of components, leading to failure. Some can absorb this depending on the way it occurs, but storage devices tend to be more vulnerable.

As far as never buying Seagate again- who made the flash drive? Do you intend boycotting them as well? :) The fact that they both failed points to power surge, and nothing to do with the brand. Also the recovery price is actually quite reasonable- a lot of places charge a lot more, and at a price per meg as opposed to a complete disk recovery.

As far as prevention goes there are 2 real alternatives. the first (and most expensive) is a UPS- uninterruptible power supply. This is plugged into the mains and then to the computer, and effectively acts a a giant battery. Power is regulated so that it will not cause a power spike (constant voltage) and n the event of a failure, will supply power for a period of time that allows you to save and shut down safely.
The second alternative (cheaper) is a power surge protected socket or extension lead. This plugs into the wall socket, and prevents power surges, but in the event of loss of power, does nothing. Personally I use these for EVERYTHING that uses power in my house- 1 good surge can wipe out a lot more value than the cost of the leads.

As a final note, and I appreciate that it will not help now, but consider using backups. whether its cloud based, external hard drives, DVD, whatever- anything that you want to keep, back up. When it comes to backing up, theres a a simple philosophy- will I cane i fI lose this? If the answer is yes, back it up.

#3 ·
First of all, I edited your post for language. This is a family site; please use appropriate language.
Next it may be the drive that failed OR it may be the enclosure. If you have not done so, open the case and pull the drive. Most external type [however not all] drives can be connected as an internal drive. You may find that you can now access the drive.

$600 for data recovery is NOT out of line. In fact, the cost can go way higher. It just depends on what has to be done.

I have a saying "Data you do not backup is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose said data" With a backup of the files in question, this becomes a non-event. Just install a new drive and restore the data from the backup. Without a backup, it becomes a costly lesson.

#4 ·
I apologize for the language. the first drive went RAW after a Microsoft update, the second was an external power failure. and as far as Seagate goes, I have a Toshiba external drive that has been through both instances and is fine. I appreciate the advice, but as noted does little to help me now. I fear I haven't to acumen to take apart a drive. Any known programs that might help?

#7 ·
Your best option is to pull the drive; eliminate the usb enclosure.
I have had good luck with testdisk however do be SURE of what you are doing. Testdisk does exactly what you tell it to do however sometimes that is not what you intended.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
That is so accurate regarding computers in general; they do exactly what you tell them to, just not what you want.

#6 · (Edited)
1. What is the OS
2. What is the result of the check on the flash pen - is that also shown as raw
3. When you say the same happened with a 1TB Seagate was that also a power failure
4. Testdisk is excellent but as my colleague says it is neither easy to use and it is in some respects a once chance cmd - get the wrong one and you will end up worse than you are now
5. Frequently Windows sees the data as RAW but Linux may not - it may just allow you to retrieve it - when you reply depending on the OS I will guide you through the process to check if Linux can see the disk and the data

#9 ·
1) windows 7
2) when I insert the flash, comp says downloading drivers, then ready but it doesn't show as connected. So I don't know what it is.
3) The 1T Seagate happened after a late night windows update and it went to RAW, I don't know if the 3T has gone RAW because when I try to check properties the computer freezes.
4) currently I amusing Minitool because it was the first recovery program to actually "see" the drive. It has been running about 36 hours and found 123 files, at 1% complete. (so tedious)
5) The 1T drive I was able to recover using M3 Data Recovery program, however when it scans the 3T it freezes with 4 seconds left on scan. Hence my search for another program.

6) I am willing to try anything. If you have patience to let Minitool run, at this rate probably a week or more.

#8 ·
Reactions: kanadesaga
#10 · (Edited)
Well the decision must be yours as to whether you continue with MiniTool or try this
The other is to run Puppy which runs in ram from a CD and that MAY enable you to access the drive.

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso)
  • NOTE please although the above still works there is a later edition of Puppy here
  • http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-slacko-5.7/slacko-5.7.0-PAE.iso
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software
  • ON Windows 7 of course you can burn that ISO using the inbuilt windows 7 iso burner or you can use as above the free burnCDCC
    • Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
    • Extract All files to a location you can remember
    • Double Click
      BurnCDCC
    • Click Browse and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
    • Open/Double Click that file
      IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
    • Click Start
    • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
    • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
    • Click OK
    Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second

• Start the computer/press the power button
    • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
      (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
    • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
      CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
    • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
    • Press F10 to save and exit
    • Agree with "Y" to continue
    • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD
3. Recover Your Data

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
    • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop.
    • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
    • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
    • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
    • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
    3b. Transfer Files.
    • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
    • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
    • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
    • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
    • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
    For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

#11 ·
Further to the above I have just made the new Slacko Puppy and it works well
I suggest you try that one it has quite a few enhancements over the older one
Here is the screenshot
It fits on a CD
Astronomical object Font Screenshot Science Multimedia

and if you look at the lower left edge you can see all my hard drives and the usb connected ones

As I said there is a good chance that Puppy will see your files on the drive, although windows will not

#12 · (Edited)
I am most willing to try Puppy, but a new wrinkle, my computer is not reading any flash drives, ones that I know have data on them. Obviously I had both the flash drive and external hard drives open when the power failure occurred, but it should be reading these other drives, any thoughts? should I fix this problem before installing Linux?

Okay update, it is seeing some drives and reading others, although it takes a while for the information appears but not data, so folders show but none of the contents, when on other computers it is there. It shows the name, the memory left bar but none of the data.

AND
But what has happened is that I cannot access the recycle bin. Things just get stranger and stranger

#14 ·
1. If it is there on other computers
when on other computers it is there
the data copy it from the drives in question on the other computers
that secures the data
then we can address the issue of the drives

2. You do not install Linux you simply run it from the CD it runs in ram

3. Do you have free space on C drive

4. In addition to the recycle bin that you cannot access, can you access system restore points - DO NOT attempt the restore

5. Boot it safe mode see if the recycle bin can be accessed there and see if the drives are by any chance recognised

#16 ·
I will wait for you to try the other points
So when you click on the drive in the window of Puppy
am I correct in you are saying no contents are shown - what is shown if anything

#18 ·
It would do a diskcheck and that would fail. and yes it showed no contents. However, I am happy to report that the program I paid for last year, while not working, is now working (with a new download and free key) and I am recovering data. Probably should have done that first, duh! I will be burning pictures to a dvd disc for permanent back up, as well as other files and changing some filing around so if it should happen again it shan't be so devastating I am so grateful to you Mac, people like you challenge my very cynical and jaded opinion of people.

#19 ·
I am pleased you are making progress

#21 ·
I have no definite answer for you
However if the program is recovering data, then the files shown as 0 bytes data are either corrupted and cannot be recovered OR if those are all the same type of file - the program cannot recover that sort of file data

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.