1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaniyalAttash, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaniyalAttash

DaniyalAttash Thread Starter

I have lost the data after reinstalling Os.previously i was using Windows 7 and then i try to install dual boot but unfortunately Ubuntu overwrite over windows need serious suggestions to recover data from hard drive

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you have personal data(documents, photos, music, videos, etc.) that is important and irreplaceable, you should create at least 1 backup copy of it on a regular basis.
    I'm not there to see your computer, but I fear you may have lost it all permanently.

How exactly did you install Ubuntu?
    Did you install it in the same partition that Windows 7 was in?
    Did you create a 2nd partition and then install Ubuntu in that partition?
    When you start your computer, does it give you the choice of selecting Windows 7 or Ubuntu to boot from?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. DaniyalAttash

I install in the same folder.Is there any tool or procedure of partition recovery.?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you saying you installed Ubuntu in the same hard drive partition that Windows 7 was installed in?
    If that's what you did, I doubt that you can recover any of your personal data.
    Someone else here can correct me if I'm wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. DaniyalAttash

Yeah you are right i installed in the sane folder.I have data in 3 partition C D E , and i installed ubuntu after that it merge all the folder to C drive only .

6. jagsthecat

jagsthecat

I'm afraid that all the data will likely to have been lost.

Repartioning of the drive will probably mean it was also formatted.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I doubt you can recover the data however you can pull your drive and send it to a data recovery shop for an estimate. Be sure and tell them exactly what you did since this will affect the cost. This is NOT cheap and I would expect the cost to be well above $500 plus the cost of whatever media you want the data stored on; ie you cannot recover to the same drive you are scanning.

Note by shop, I mean just that not a best buy or other chain store. The chain stores simply ship your drive to a data shop and add extra costs on to you.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice