Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost data

2K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  I Fix 4 U 
#1 ·
:eek: Ive just installed a new Samsung H/D WITH xp/sp1 nfts and used original H/D with win 98se as slave (Maxtor)
The problem is that xp locates the drive and asks if i want to format it as file system comes up as RAW? :confused:
ALL jumper settings and bios detection is correct and the second drive (win 98se) Runs perfectly well on its own right with no problems?? fat 32 sys
I would like to transfer all files over to new drive before re formating this one.

Any Ideas to resolve this will be welcomed :up:

#10 ·
I have seen troubles when the slave is listed as bootable without setting it up as a dual boot system.
If it were me I would make it a dual boot (go to MS.com and search), or use the 98 disk alone(like now), go into FDISK and make that drive non active, then install the XP drive as master and 98 drive as slave....
I am NOT positive that there will be no issue, but I vaguely remember running into this issue awhile back.

GL

#12 ·
LOL dual boot is a good idea as long as all you will be doing is bootin XP and Win98 alongside eachother and you have two harddrives. XP on one and 98 on other. Make XP harddrive the boot HD and modify XP's boot.ini to include win98. Now if you have linux or are using something like grub bootloader it will be different because XP's bootloader is very crude, also there may be some mbr conflicts but saikee and I are currently workin on any problems of that sort, 'specially bootin da stuff.

#13 ·
Thanx for all the valued replies Guy's
Make XP harddrive the boot HD and modify XP's boot.ini to include win98?
Any further info on that as in how and where!!
checked the 98se drive with fdisk all ok and fdisk/mbr stated partition problem?
Just spent most of ma valued free time backin up the important stuff to cd
only about 6 GIG OF JUNIORS MUSIC NOW TO CONTEND WITH NOW!!!!!
needed a break so back online
If I could keep the data active on the old drive Would be a great asset

Again this is the best resposive forum Ive been to to date
Keep it up Guy's +Gal's
As they say in Welsh Wales Da Yawn

#14 ·
Before you freak out-i dont want that to happen- whats you current status. I would wish to know which operating systems (e.g. windows) you currently have installed. Then tell me where you keep those operating systems (e.g. your first harddrive, second, etc) This will help me help you.

#15 ·
1st drive winxpsp1. 2nd drive win98se(also ran as main)
Current status ran fdisk/mbr on the98se drive has put ramdrive to d: and wont load at all (as a standalone drive) have data on this drive fdisk shows 2 parts Now cannot recover ?
Thankfully copied all main files to cd and placed in xp which I nowam using
??????????????????????
cheers

#16 ·
What is the drive status (fdisk's report) on the HD with windows 98. Is your XP harddrive touched in any way or is that harddrive bootable and ok? Can you still run win98 in any way or what exactly can you do now. I'm touching on whether somethings quarky or if this is an ez fix.

#17 ·
Delayed reply due to Sunshine sand and saltwater !!!!!
The windows xp (new drive) ok. win 98se (2nd drive) ran fdisk/mbr now not bootable fdisk shows 2 partitions and still cannot recover data or run this drive
Shall search for file recover prog to attempt access to data! Any suggestions will be welcomed

#22 ·
He should not reformat yet. Thats just going back to scratch. He wants it to still be working. Unless he doesnt care if he nukes that harddrive than if thats the case kill all partitions in that harddrive and create a primary partition and format it. may also want2 clear mbr (fdisk /mbr)

Hey have you tried using http://www.sysresccd.org/ it has all sorts of stuff.

#25 ·
My feeling is that he's broken the 98 boot drive....we can play with it by itself and try to revive it........the mbr isn't an issue here anymore, at least in my opinion.

Really, format is the best option at this point.

Or perhaps an overinstall of 98 on that drive........with the other drive DISCONNECTED.

#26 ·
Yah if losing all data on that drive is not a problem he should disconnect any other harddrive and reinstall windows. Please tell me if you are going to do this because I have detailed instructioins on how reformat/reinstall the best way (there are many other ways but i know the best and plenty others use this method).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.