1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Data

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by medicinewoman19, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. medicinewoman19

medicinewoman19 Thread Starter

I have lost files from My Documents and want to see if anyone can help me find or recover them please.:confused:

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi medicinewoman19,
    Did you clear them from the documents folder on start menu or from the My Documents folder on desk top? You might check the recycle bin!

3. medicinewoman19

I didn't delete them hon they just were there one day and gone the next and I don't know to where. They were important photos that cannot be replaced.

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Go to start, programs look for windows explorer. Click on the C drive on left. Look inright pane and see if you see a My documents folder

5. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

If they were deleted by accident, double-click the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop. You should see a list of recently-deleted files. Click Restore All on the left side of the window if you want all the files back, or click the filename you want to recover, and then click Restore to recover one file at a time. If they were deleted but are not in the Recycle Bin, they can *possibly* be recovered, but the process will be lengthy and potentially expensive.

If you think they might just have been moved, go to Start / Search / Find Files or Folders. In the Search for Files or Folders Named box, put the name of the file you want to recover. If you can only remember part of the filename, put an asterisk (*) on either side of what you remember, make sure the "Look In" box is set to "Local Hard Drives" , then click Search Now. If the file is found, you can double-click to open it, or right-click and Select Send To.. / My Documents. The file will then be moved to the My Documents folder.

If you remember the TYPE of file it was, but not the name, put an asterisk, a period, and then the extension in the Search for Files or Folders Named box. For example, *.mp3 to find an mp3 file, or *.jpg to find a jpeg picture. Again, if it's found, you can move the file to the My Documents folder by right-clicking on the name and selecting Send To / My Documents (or by dragging the file to the My Documents folder).

If you can't remember any of the filename, but remember some of the words inside the file (assuming they are text documents), leave the "Search for Files or Folders Named" box empty, and type the word you know is in the file n the "Containing Text" box. Again, make sure "Local Hard Drives" is selected in the "Look In " box. This approach is likely to turn up plenty of files you don't want in addition to the file you do want, and it will take much longer to complete.

If you don't know any of the above, but remember when the file was last saved, leave the two boxes "Search for...", and "Containing..." blank, and click "Date" in the Search Options box. Put in the date or date range in the boxes that pop up.

If none of these methods turns up the file, try opening the application you view or edit the file in, and do a File Search in that programs options, if one is available.

Good luck, and please let us know how you make out.

6. medicinewoman19

Thanks so much for all ur help. I guess they are lost for good tho. I don't know what happened apparently there was a crash or something I don't know. Thanks so much tho. Mikayla

7. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

There's another possibility, by the way. You could have a virus or worm that is renaming your files. There is one particular virus that renames files with vbs on the end. It also creates lots of extra folders on your hard drive.

Scan with an up-to-date virus scanner to be sure. If you don't have one, visit:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_pcc.asp

8. ezymony

ezymony

medicinewoman go to c drive windows - temp see if any of your files are in there

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice