1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Data

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Crazy_Rach, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crazy_Rach

Crazy_Rach Thread Starter

I run windows vista on my pc. But I was having some issues which seemed to be caused by my new graphics card. A friend of mine recomennded that install XP on a different hard drive to see if the problem was a driver issue.

So I booted XP from the CD and waited for the instruction to folllow. But no instructions did follow. It didnt let me select a partiton and formatted the c: drive. Anyway I contiuned the installation as vista seemed to have gone with the wind.

Anyone so now all the data on my C drive has gone, but all the data on my back up E: drive has gone as well. Overall I'm not too worried, but their were some videos on there and some data I'd hate to lose. Is there anyway to recover this data even though the drive has been formatted and a new OS has been installed or is it gone for good?

If anyone could let me know ASAP so I can get Vista re-installed again and prepare to kill my friend! I'm reluctant to install anything incase it re-writes over old and hidden data.

Any Help appreciated.

Rachel

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You are correct to not cause any more contamination by writing to the hard disk.

There are data recovery services and programs; some programs are free or will tell you what you can recover before charging you. Just search the web for something like "data recovery."

3. Crazy_Rach

Thanks for the advice. The data I'm after isn't really worth paying money for, its more sentimental really. So I'm looking for a free program that will do the job. I've found a program called PC inspector and its found some lost clusters of JPG's ect but when I open them, nothing happens. I'm going to have a play around with something other things, but it it dosnt work I'll probably just have to re-install vista and cry over spilt milk lol.

Thanks

Rach

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

To clarify, reinstalling Vista won't bring the data back. The drive was formatted. Installing Vista will just do it again.

5. Crazy_Rach

I managed to get the data back using a program called PC inspector.

Thanks guys!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/671482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice