Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Data

913 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Crazy_Rach 
#1 ·
I run windows vista on my pc. But I was having some issues which seemed to be caused by my new graphics card. A friend of mine recomennded that install XP on a different hard drive to see if the problem was a driver issue.

So I booted XP from the CD and waited for the instruction to folllow. But no instructions did follow. It didnt let me select a partiton and formatted the c: drive. Anyway I contiuned the installation as vista seemed to have gone with the wind.

Anyone so now all the data on my C drive has gone, but all the data on my back up E: drive has gone as well. Overall I'm not too worried, but their were some videos on there and some data I'd hate to lose. Is there anyway to recover this data even though the drive has been formatted and a new OS has been installed or is it gone for good?

If anyone could let me know ASAP so I can get Vista re-installed again and prepare to kill my friend! I'm reluctant to install anything incase it re-writes over old and hidden data.

Any Help appreciated.

Rachel

See less See more
#2 ·
You are correct to not cause any more contamination by writing to the hard disk.

There are data recovery services and programs; some programs are free or will tell you what you can recover before charging you. Just search the web for something like "data recovery."

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. The data I'm after isn't really worth paying money for, its more sentimental really. So I'm looking for a free program that will do the job. I've found a program called PC inspector and its found some lost clusters of JPG's ect but when I open them, nothing happens. I'm going to have a play around with something other things, but it it dosnt work I'll probably just have to re-install vista and cry over spilt milk lol.

Thanks

Rach

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.