1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Disk Space after ReInstalling windows ME

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by paulcee, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulcee

paulcee Thread Starter

Hi guys, I have recently needed to reInstall Windows ME to correct a few problems. I ended up doing this twice to try and fix errors - which it did- everything is now running fine.
    The only thing is I seem to have lost alot of disk space each time I reinstalled it. What do I do to fix this?
    I thought that re-formatting the C: Drive and starting all over may work- is this nessecary? Is there another way around it?
    I have checked to see if there are two or more copies of all system files- there are in C:\WINDOWS\INF and C:\WINDOWS\INF\INFBACK- that looks all normal to me.
    I have already ran Disk Space recovery Wizard- didnt free up much space at all. Also just so you know- when I reinstalled windows I did NOT choose to keep copies of the system files- thinking that that would take up space- just incase somehow the computer did save these somewhere from my last OS- Windows 98- where would I check? Thanks

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You might get some clues as to what is taking up all that space by using the File search tool. Click on Advanced and do a search for all files "at least" 10000kb (10mb). If that doesn't turn up much, take a zero off until it does.

3. paulcee

paulcee Thread Starter

:) Hey- I never knew how much crap could accumulate on the hard drive! Thanks- problem Fixed!!

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome, good to hear :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice