1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost document

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lynnehgn, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynnehgn

lynnehgn Thread Starter

I have Microsoft Vista and Microsoft Word 2007. STUPID ME did not save the document at all! Never did that before. Did my document in Word, and wanted to paste into Notepad. Hit Cntrl C to copy, then hit enter by mistake instead of Cntrl V to paste. The document disappeared! Can't find it anywhere. Can I get it back somehow? HELP!

2. valis

valis Moderator

if you haven't copied anything else, or rebooted your pc, it could still be on the clipboard. Try opening word and hitting ctrl-v. Unless told to do otherwise, the clipboard will hold whatever's on there as long as the pc has juice.

3. lynnehgn

lynnehgn Thread Starter

I checked that. It was a 2 page document and I was starting to copy the first page. That's the one that got lost. The second page is on the clipboard. I thought maybe there was something like a "temporary file" but can't seem to find that. Thanks for your answer!

4. valis

valis Moderator

well, in that case, it's pretty much gone. The clipboard is 'volatile' memory, which means that once something is copied onto it, it dumps the old data and keeps the new until THAT is copied over, or the power is turned off.

Sorry, but I think you are going to have to recreate that one......

5. lynnehgn

lynnehgn Thread Starter

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh. thanks anyway!

6. valis

valis Moderator

sorry, kiddo......wish I could be the bearer of better news......have you checked your recent documents list in word? If you have autosave on, it will be in there somewhere.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice