1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Driver. Can't reload one.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RIP0100, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RIP0100

RIP0100 Thread Starter

System is Dell with Windows ME.
    Message at boot up this AM was that a new hardware device was found. (It's been there for 3 years.) Tried to retrieve the driver from my install software but it couldn't find a driver for HP Deskjet 970Cse. So tried the following: 1. Downloaded new driver from HP site. Did that but couldn't install. Kept getting error msgs of Disk 1 not found and all subsequent files not found.
    2. Tried a new software installation from CD disc I got when bought the printer. Same msgs. Disk 1 not found.
    3. Tried a system restore to Oct 8, Oct 1 and July 1. In each case it said Restoration Unsuccessful.
    UGH What next?

2. RIP0100

RIP0100 Thread Starter

Another interesting thing - When I go to the Install/Uninstall window, there are no items of software in the window to uninstall. RIP0100

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

Do you mean you can boot to Windows, open install/uninstall and there are NO items listed at all. Not Internet Explorer, nothing? Or do you mean no printer software?

The disk 1 reference is referenceing the fact that when you unzip the download it generally creates 1 through 5 or 6 "disk" folders so you can install the HP printer from 6 floppies. At least that's my educated guess with HP downloads.

It sounds (and this is a real guess) like you downloaded the complete new software package for the printer, not just the driver. I would completely uninstall all the HP printer software you have, remove the printer in the device driver window, unplug the printer completely, re-boot a few times and make sure everythings running OK.

If so then install the printer software, shut down the machine, plug in the printer then re-boot.

See if the new hardware finds the driver now.

4. RIP0100

RIP0100 Thread Starter

-That's right. There are NO items listed at all.
    -It looks like the complete software package that I downloaded to me also. It starts up the same as the CD software to install that I got with the printer. But I get the same error with both.
    -There is nothing to un-install according to the install/uninstall window. I haven't tried removing the printer from the device driver window. Yet. Have removed cables though.
    -Thanks. RIP0100

5. mobo

mobo

Then proceed with the delettion from device manager and reload the drivers on reinstall as the new hardware wizard finds it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice