1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost drivers

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Media Man, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilion 775e (D7218W). The hard drive died. Unfortunately the OS and all the drivers were un the hard drive because it was partitioned as a restore. I recieved no back-up cd's when I purchased the computer. I have a new OS installed, Windows XP. I have found some of the drivers I need off the HP website and successfully installed them, but I can't find the driver for my ethernet port. I can't gain access to the internet to help complete the updating of the entire system. Where can I get the driver, or am I doing something wrong? Is there a driver for the ethernet port?

2. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

Is there more info I need to provide to help with responses? My computer is very limited right now, so gaining info from it is challenging for me. I am using a laptop right now to access the internet and search for answers. I found on the HP website that the computer should have a Realtek 8201BL ethernet 10/100 LAN supplier and it is integrated, On-Board. Does this mean something important. I haven't found the driver for that model yet. Please help someone.

3. rka0

rka0 Banned

4. DaMoose

DaMoose

As an HP phone tech, I can offer you this ....do a system recovery by tapping F10 at boot up. Before any screens came up. No new computer system comes with recovery cd's any more. Instead, there is a program called Recovery Cd Creator right on your system. The HP software should have given you reminders to create your own. However, with that said, try the system recovery from the F10. Remember to have only the mouse monitor and keyboard in when doing the recovery. And yes, you will lose any data on that hard drive.

5. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses. I did try the HP link before, and it helped with some of the drivers. I did not download, burn to cd, and install all drivers listed. Could the ethernet driver be hiding in a bundle that is not clearly connected to internet or networking? As to the hard drive, I had to replace the hard drive completely, therefore F10 restore probably won't help, right? The old hard drive is undetectable by computers. I have given it to a friend who works in the electronic crimes department for the police. He says he has never seen a hard drive that he can't access. He is still trying, but shy of disassembling the hard drive in a clean room and rebuilding it might be my last option. That's not cheap. I wish I had made a system back-up disk. I always will from now on. So, I have a new hard drive and OS, but I need the ethernet driver. It would make the rest of the configuration a lot easier. Thanks for your responses. I hope my info helps.

6. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hi Media Man. You are obviously a lot more technically minded than me but I typed "ethernet drivers" in yahoo search and found this as I said it is a bit technical for me.
    http://www.docs.hp.com/en/J5683-90017/ch02s02.html
    if this does not help you do a google search.

7. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

I'm trying to find the drivers still. The HP website is not helping. I am looking at the nVidia website for a driver bundle for the motherboard. I see a device attached to the motherboard that says nVidia nForce2. I'm not sure if this is going in the right direction. Thanks for the input.

8. DaMoose

DaMoose

You are going in the right direction. Unfortunatley for us, and I mean that respectfully, as you the customer and me as a tech, HP has handcuffed us in certain areas. ALL third party hardware and software issues are handled just as such. Contacting the manufacturer of the device in question. Check out the computer specs at the HP site, and then contact the appropriate manufacturer for the required updates. My days at HP are about to end. I've been helping my customers too much, and helping them avoid full system recoveries or set ups for servicing. On a scale of 1 to 10, we're allowed a 1 to use our personal knowledge and experience. The rest of the time, we're forced to go by their processes and scripts. Yes that's right, scripts. They take the 10 best solutions for a problem, bundle them up for us to go through when you call in, and it usually ends up being a full system recovery, or set up for service. Heaven forbid id there's a simpler or less drastic measure to take than what they accept. Sorry for venting here, just frustrated at the politics of the computer industry. Hope this helps though.

9. new tech guy

new tech guy

Check device manager, are there any "!" next to anything in there? Look for somthing in ethernet controllers orin a section called unkown devices. I find this odd as usually windows is perfectly fine in detecting its own drivers. Another option is to turn off the pc, plug the pc into your ethernet and startup. See if windows detects the hardware then and it should autoinstall.

10. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

Here is a break down of the components in my computer as detailed by the HP website. Which item should I be focusing on? The ethernet connection is directly connected (soldered) to the mother board. The last item mentions available manufacturer on-board items. One of them is LAN. I don't know where to look without trying all options. I hope someone has an idea to help direct my attention in the right direction.

Motherboard specifications table

Part/Feature-- Specification

Motherboard Description Manufacturer's name - ASUS A7N8X-LA

HP/Compaq name - Explorer 2

Motherboard Supplier- ASUS

System BIOS Supplier - ASUS/AMI

Form Factor - uATX

Processor Brand - AMD

Processor Socket Type - Socket A (PGA462)

Processor Family - AthlonXP (Barton, Thoroughbred,
    Palomino)
    Processor FSB Frequency - 266/333 MHz

Chipset Name - NVIDIA nForce2

Chipset 'Northbridge', Revision/Stepping - IGP, A03

Chipset 'Southbridge', Revision/Stepping - MPC2, A04

Super I/O, Revision/Stepping - ITE, 8712F-A

Flash BIOS Device - 4 Mbit

Memory Type - DDR

Memory Speed - PC2700/PC2100

Memory Sockets - 2DDR DIMM (184-pin)

Maximum Memory -2 GB (PC manufacturer's maximum
    memory may differ)

Graphics Supplier - NVIDIA nForce2

Graphics Configuration - On-Board

Onboard Graphics Memory - UMA up to 128 MB

Graphics Connector - AGP 8X

TV-Out Device - No

TV-Out Configuration - No

Audio - AC'97 On-Board

AC'97 CODEC Device - Realtek ALC650

Audio Jacks - Microphone, Line-In, Line-Out, Speaker,
    MIDI/Game

External Audio Connectors - Microphone, Line-In

Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier - Realtek 8201BL

Ethernet Configuration - Integrated, On-Board

IDE UDMA Modes - ATA-133/100/66/33

Expansion Slots - AGP 8X, Three PCI

USB Ports - Six USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 back)

External Ports - One Serial, One Parallel, One Floppy, PS/2
    Keyboard, PS/2 Mouse, One 1394 (front)

Serial Port Front Chassis Option - No

Available Manufacturer On-Board Options - Graphics, Lan, 1394, 6 Speaker Mode (Dolby 5.1)

11. vicks

vicks

if you have the model and number of the drive try going to www.driverguide.com. It is free but you must register to use it. You should be able to get the necessary drivers there.
    good luck
    vicks

12. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

I've been trying to register to get the drivers at driver guide, but the email to verify doesn't come through. It is very frustrating. I have tried using two diferent email accounts.

13. vicks

vicks

Perhaps their server is out for maintenance... Give them some time I am sure it will come thru.
    vicks

14. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

I finally got through the verification process using a third email address and got the drivers. It seems to have done the trick. Thanks for encouraging me to keep pursuing driver guide downloads.

15. new tech guy

new tech guy

This entry here is what you need the software to:
    Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier - Realtek 8201BL
    Glad to hear however, that you have found your drivers. If your thread is solved please go to thread tools at the top of this page. Then click on mark solved then click perform action. That will mark this thread solved.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice