1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost e-mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by samtooth6, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samtooth6

samtooth6 Thread Starter

Running Windows XP Home Edition & Outlook Express. I just noticed that ALL my e-mails in folders S thru X have disappeared. All folders & mail prior to this (A thru R) are there in their entirety. I still have the folders S through X, but all are empty. Anyone have any idea of what happened to them and how I can retrieve them? I have Norton Systemworks with "Norton Protected Recycle Bin", but I've never used it and don't really know how. Thanks.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi samtooth6

Check this setting in Outlook Express:
    Tools > Options > Maintenance tab,
    if there, remove the checkmark for Compact messages in the background
    this is a default setting that can cause corruption in your .dbx files.

If you have more than one Identity, check each Identity to ensure this process has been disabled.

Still, on the Maintenance tab, click the Store Folder button to NOTE the path where Outlook Express keeps its .dbx files.
    Apply, OK, to save and close.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the directory containing your .dbx files.
    Copy the files S.dbx thru X.dbx to a folder on your desktop.
    Note the size of the files, if they are 79kb or less they do not contain any messages.

Download DBXtract here and attempt to extract the messages from your S through X.dbx files.

Create another folder on your desktop for the Output path.
    Point DBXtract to the S.dbx file and extract the messages to the new folder.
    Once those messages are extracted, you can drag them back into Outlook Express.
    Repeat this process with the remaining .dbx files.

You may need the Visual Basic 6.0 Run-time Files for DBXtract.

Let us know what happens.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice