1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Email!!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by anewlife4us, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anewlife4us

anewlife4us Thread Starter

I had started an email earlier in the day using Charter.net and it was doing automatic saves to my draft file. When I returned home tonight, I went back to work on the email and continued to do so for 3 hours. I didn't even check to see if the automatic draft saving was still working - the email was finished and addressed to its recipient, I had checked the box to save a copy and then hit the Send button. The next screen that popped up was from Charter asking me to re-enter my password to authenticate my account as a precaution. So I did this and when it returned me to my email folders - low and behold there is nothing there!?!? The original rough draft from the afternoon is the only thing I can find, not a single copy or trace of what I just tried to send, not even in the Sent Folder!?! I tried going BACK and recalling the composed email, but the screen comes up totally empty as though there was never anything there!?!? There is no way that I can rewrite all of the same contents of the original email - it wasn't a document, it was a heartfelt letter that was carefully worded and reworded until I had it pefect to my liking and was thrilled at what I had accomplished.

Please tell me there is a chance that the letter actually got sent to it's recipient and is only lost on my end!!!! Or that there is some way to call it back to my computer so that I can resend it. I tried contacting Charter.net, but of course they are closed now and only have automated help for billing, and cable TV problems. Right now, all I can do is cry!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You'll improve your chances of getting helpful advice if you tell us what email client you use, and whether it's POP3 or IMAP mail.

3. anewlife4us

I amnot sure all of the technical terms - but it was written on my Charter.net email account which is a cable dsl service linked with my phone and TV and was being sent to a Verizon.net phone DSL server. I just found out that it never got to its recipient either. Does this help any. I also have a Qwest MSN email account but wasn't using that since we just moved to Eastern Washington a couple months ago and switched carriers.

4. anewlife4us

Incoming E-Mail Server: mail.charter.net
    Outgoing E-Mail Server: mail.charter.net
    Server Type: POP3 Server
    Web Mail Address: http://webmail.charter.net

5. anewlife4us

I just talked with Charter and they say it is 'a session time out' issue?? They have no clue as to where the email is or how to retrieve it. I used the built in safeguards of checking the box to make sure a copy is saved, I was using the automated draft save, and also in my email settings, it is marked to save a copy of all sent emails - so what good is all of that if the system overrides and deletes everything??

6. anewlife4us

I just downloaded a Windows program that retrieves lost data files - only problem is that I don't know where an email file would have gotten lost to - I don't have any folder name, it doesn't seem to select by date - any ideas?

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

To know if anything can be retrieved, you have to know what e-mail client you were using. Was it Outlook? Outlook Express? Or were you just on the web using the browser interface? There isn't going to be a way to retrieve any lost information if that's the case.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice