1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost emails, need help with recovery

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mark, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark

mark Thread Starter

I was upgrading my motherboard, and foolishly, I forgot to backup my emails (just in case something went wrong, which it did). There was an error on the hard drive and it became unbootable on the new mobo. I was still able to access it, however, after I installed an OS on a new HD (and making the old HD a secondary master). I transferred all the contents from the old to the new, but am unable to locate any .dbx or .lbx files on either the old HD, or the new one for that matter (though emailing works fine on the new HD). Is there someplace else that they may be hiding, or have taken on some other form (file extension, I mean)?
    The old HD was Win2kPro SP3 Outlook Express 5.5 and the new HD is Win2KPro SP4 Outlook Express 6.
    Any help on this would be hugely appreciated!

2. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Mark, if you are using OE and it is working you do have .dbx files. Be sure you have VIEW HIDDEN FILES checked before you do your search or you won't see them.

If you want to know where they are in your new installation just go to the folder panel in OE and right click the INBOX or something and hit properties. It will show you the location.

You don't seem to indicate something that would have destroyed them on your old HD so I would assume (hope) that view hidden files will help you locate them.

- C

3. mark

mark Thread Starter

Thanks CastleHeart! I managed to learn that with some research, and sure enough, the files appeared after 'unhiding' them :). I'm extremely sorry that I didn't reply to my own query, saying that I had it figured out. Nobody had taken a stab at it for so long, I just sorta forgot to let people know to close this thread. So I'm sorry for that! I do hugely appreciate the reply though!! Sincerely,

Mark Urbanski

PS. Mods may close this as it's 'solved' now. Thanks again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice