1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by TimCutler, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello!

My friend has "lost" all his emails from within Outlook Express. There is absolutely no sign of them.

All was well until he copied text from a web page & then pasted it into an email. After sending the email, he closed his computer down. When he restarted his computer he wanted to refer to a previous email only to find that all were gone.

He seems to think that there was a virus, possibly a Visual Basic related one, in the text that he cut from the web page & then copied into the email.

Is this possible & is there any way to retrieve the emails?

If it is possible to pick up a virus this way, are there any precautions than he & others can take to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this matter.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

check the OE storage directory, something like:
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

if not there, search for *.dbx files

in OE go to Tools, Options, Maintenance - see what storage folder is being used

one of these 3 methods should find the files, then can get OE to 'see' them again

have to find them first

3. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hi!
    Thanks for such a quick reply.
    We have done a search for *.dbx & nothing has been found.
    Could a virus have been picked up by copying & pasting from a web page?

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

unlikely to pick up a virus form a webpage like you described but ...who knows these days?

there was absolutely NO trace of any .dbx files???
    if OE opens, there's folders like sent, inbox, outbox, etc
    - then there are .dbx files, has to be

what about:
    the c:\windows etc directory; and
    did you try the tool,option,maintenance approach - that shows where the files are stored

also - the usual suspects

ad aware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    virus scan

curious

also
    what version of OE
    what OS

5. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello again!

Thanks for the reply. I will contact my friend & get him to look harder for his emails.

I also doubted that a virus could be had in this manner, but as you say... who knows?!?

Best wishes.

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Have you done an updated virus scan? If not then click on the link next to my name.

You could try a scanreg/restore if it hasnt been more than 5 days. Start>shutdown>restart in Ms-Dos>type scanreg/restore then hit enter>choose a date prior to this happening.

7. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hi!

Thanks for all your help - it is appreciated.

Fingers crossed we can find those emails, but does anyone think it is possible to wipe them all out by cutting & pasting text from a web page?

Best wishes.

8. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

I am thinking there had to be more than that done, but, who knows. Let me look around.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice