1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost English Outlook Express 6 dictionary after Word 2007 install

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by srfoot, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. srfoot

srfoot Thread Starter

After installing Office 2007 I lost the English dictionary for Outlook express 6 and have only French in OE6 and Word 2007.

When I installed Office 2007, I did set it to install English in proofing.

Under options in OE 6/spelling, it only gives French as an option.

In Word, English is set as the primary language and also under enabled editing languages.

The dictionary in Word is French.

How do I get an english (US) dictionary in OE 6 and also find the english dictionary in word if it was installed as I set it or get it into the program?

Thank you for your help!!!!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Open Word 2007

Click on the Office Icon (upper left)

Go down to Word Options

Select Proofing

Check "Suggest from main dictionary only"

Select Custom Dictionaries

Click the drop down button at right of dictionary languages

Go down and select English (United states) - or your preferred country...

Click ok twice

Restart OE and try the spell check.

3. srfoot

srfoot Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestions.
    I did as you outlined but OE still uses a French dictionary.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

5. femi

femi

(y)
    The Steps are very simple.

I got solution to my Outlook problem.

Thumbs Up!!!!!

Femi Adeolu

6. femi

femi

Wao,

I amazingly found answer to my Outlook Express spell check palava.

Thanks to you guys. Please keep me posted

Femi Adeolu

7. Jack1000

Jack1000

If you don't want to screw around with customizing Office 2007 and OE 6's sell check to work, rather than going through the Office Custom set-up, you can also install this excellent third-party spell-checker for OE 6. It will work regardless of whether or not you have MS Office on your computer:

ALTERNATIVE SPELL CHECKER FOR OE 6:

http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/

Jack

8. computertechie

computertechie

Hello everyone,

I've got this problem with a brand new customer laptop. Have tried some of the things suggested - gone into Word 2007 and done the proofing tools bit, run the spelloe tool and made sure all Windows XP settings are set to English (UK).

My problem is that I now only have a choice of "American" English and French in OE. I need to set it to proper English.

How does one get UK/British English for OE?

There isn't an old copy of Office, so I can't do a language tools install from an older version. Not is the customer going to pay for a utility to fix this - why the hell should he anyway, it's M$ that screwed this up.

Suggestions please.....

9. msmith713

msmith713

Scenario: Purchased a brand new computer with XP and activated Office 2007 60-Day trial license (although a full version should still run into the same problem). English dictionary no longer appeared in OE. Downloaded OE English 2.1 dictionary from Softpedia and installed it. From OE, go to Tools -> Spelling -> Select English Dictionary. Now every time you spell check, Outlook Express crashes. Since a copy of Office 2003 is not available, cannot use the proofing tools from that version.

Solution: If 2007 shared proofing tools are installed, installing a third party spelling dictionary might cause this scenario. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Offce 2007 -> Remove. This will give you the option to change your installed settings. Follow the prompts until you get to the part where you select which parts of office you want to install. Locate Sharing -> Proofing and set entire category to not installed. Let the installation update itself. Now reinstall the English Dictionary from Softpedia.com. When running the spell checker, Outlook Express should no longer crash. Spell check features still work in Office 2007 as well.

10. computertechie

computertechie

Have dug up this post, as I've put in a new computer this morning and the customer was on the phone an hour later saying he had a French dictionary in Outlook Express.

They do have Office 2007 on their computer - seems to be the offender.

Does anyone know how to put this into proper English (ie. UK), not "US English"???

Grateful for any solutions.

11. computertechie

computertechie

12. computertechie

computertechie

Have also told them to go into OE - Tools - Options - Spelling and check it's ok.

They're still saying it's spell checking in French!!!! Help!

13. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  14. computertechie

computertechie

Yep, MS admit it's their fault, and the customer understood.

The only solution, which I did, was to get the user using Outlook. They'd paid for it anyway....

As for 3rd party tools, it seems there ain't a freebie for a UK spell checker.

Just use Outlook.

15. Krash

Krash

Just outta curiousity. Has anyone bothered to try installing the Proofing tools of Office 2003 or 2002 alone from the older Office Suites along side a full installation of Office 2007?

I would love to know the results and if this fixes the issue. I cant mess with my computer at work by trying this out or I would have done it myself.

Please advise if someone has tried this.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice