1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost everything in "My Documents"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by puterjunkie4ever, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puterjunkie4ever

puterjunkie4ever Account Closed Thread Starter

How can I get back those folders and files that were in "My Documents". It is completely blank. I have tried several times to do a system restore. It says it cannot restore to a certain date. Please help. My Documents folder on my desktop is empty also.

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

puterjunkie4ever, Since you have the inside information, tell us what you think may have caused those files to disappear. It's extremely rare for the entire contents of the "My Documents" folder (or any folder for that matter) to disappear with no user involvement.

FYI, the System Restore function of XP will never restore your personal files. It is only intended to restore certain "System" files, and even those give it more than it can handle at times.

Have you made any backups of your important personal files?

3. puterjunkie4ever

puterjunkie4ever Account Closed Thread Starter

Yeah, you're right. i have the inside info. Yesterday or the day b4 i was trying to do what pconpoint adviced me to do and it involved registry keys. Since that time I now have the problem of no document files and pconpoint still gives me registry errors. I think I might be doomed. Really the doc folder is there....it doesn't show things like. my picture, my music and all the other stuff that you would go to in there. I found this out because I was trying to get to my pictures and noticed I have nothing (no word documents or anything) in there. It is totally blank

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

5. surferdude2

surferdude2

pj4, In view of that, you can consider a couple of grasps at a straw. First, check that reg cleaner you used and see if it made any backup file that could reverse the action you took to cause this problem.

Secondly, reg cleaners normally won't delete any files since the registry doesn't actually store personal data files. With that in mind, do a file search for any file name of a personal file that you can remember and hope that will show you where those files may still be residing.

Elsewise, thinks look bleak.

6. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

puterjunkie4ever,

Registry Cleaners are so dangerous...... Question for the Gang on Line, could puterjunkie4ever roll back to a Restore Point Prior to the above named link and recover his doc's????

puterjunkie4ever, give the gang a chance to catch up to what point your at.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice