1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved lost everything on external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by confederatemule, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. confederatemule

confederatemule Thread Starter

Three or four months ago I lost a folder on my external hard drive. This folder had pictures and other folders in it. Well, today I lost everything in another folder. I disconnected the hard drive and reconnected it. Now the hard drive will not open at all. I got a message that said it is corrupted. Now I am told to format the disc. If I do that I will empty the disc. I do not want to do that. The external drive might be 10 years old if that matters.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it?

HP P6340f
    Windows 7
    AVG [free]

Thanks for any help.
    Mule

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

If that external USB hard drive is about 10 years and has been used regularly, it may have failed.
    I've never been a fan of them and prefer to save 2 copies of my personal data in CD-R's/DVD-R's.

There are several external USB hard drive experts here.
    If you can provide a complete description of yours, that'll be helpful to them.

HP Pavilion p6340f Desktop PC (VT527AA)
    If you haven't already done it, you should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

confederatemule likes this.
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A 10yr old external drive is WAY past it's useful life. If the data is important to you, then pull the drive out of the enclosure and attempt to connect it as an internal drive. This removes the enclosure from the task. If you are successful, then copy whatever you want and toss the drive. Any hard disk that is 10yrs old is NOT reliable [unless it has not been used]

If the above does not work for you, you can then send the drive to a data recovery shop. Note this is NOT cheap; get an estimate since this service can run into hundreds of dollars and sometimes goes above $1000. Add to that the cost of whatever media you want the data recovered to ie new external, new hard disk, ssd, etc.

5. confederatemule

Here is the name of the external hard drive.
    Maxtar One Touch 4
    500GB
    PN: 9nt2a4-500
    SN: 2ha11s1j

6. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

This is what appeared after inputting the serial number and part number HERE.
    Capture.JPG
    (click image to enlarge and view)

HERE is the link to the SeaTools app for it.

This is out of my expertise, so crjdriver will need to help you from here on.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. bitblit2

bitblit2

Hey bud.
    Try to buy decent external hardisk usb adapter. And try again.
    Then, if you succeed opening root folder ot hr harrdisk, do "chkdsk" on windows.

8. confederatemule

Frank, thanks for the link. I called SeaGate. I talked to 3 different people. They all were very helpful. I now have downloaded the external hard drive to my computer. I could not retrieve the folder I lost a few months ago, but I think I still have most everything else. The next step would of cost me $100.00. I have saved their link to my computer, just in case.

9. confederatemule

bitblit2, what is an external USB adapter? What brand is a decent one?

10. confederatemule

Now for another question. What is the safest way to save and store files? I would like to be able to add and remove data as I do the pc. The way I used the old one is to plug it's USB cable into a USB port on the front of the tower when I am ready to use it for someting. I store the most important data I have on the external hard drive. Geneology data, family photos, Business files, Farm files (the folder I lost and cannot retrieve), etc. Something simple and fool proof.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Regardless of the media, you make multiple copies. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when the drive will fail.
    I use high end [WD black or raptor] internal drives for backup. For really important data, I make 4 copies; one on the system drive, one on an internal drive, one on a NAS, and one on an external that is then disconnected from the network and stored in a safe. If all four drives fail at once, it is a really bad day.

12. bitblit2

bitblit2

[​IMG]

Sorry. I meant usb enclosure.
    The black one is the "decent" one, bundled as WD external harddrive. You can borrow your friend's. The blue one is cheap, around $4, sadly, sometimes, it can't work on all computer. I think because the controller inside, inefficient and need more electrical current.

13. bitblit2

bitblit2

Of course, regular multiple backup in separate location.
    Usually, if i intended to store my files, i use single external hard drive or even a DVD! And then store them to a rack. I never use my external hard drive as an "expansion". Just for archive.

14. confederatemule

Are Seagate quality products?

15. confederatemule

I just want to say "thanks" to y'all for the help.

Mule

onemc4you likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187140